Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hello everyone.

Title says pretty much everything.

My spec:
Board: Z270 Krait Gaming
BIOS: E7A59IMS.A5
VGA: GIGABYTE GTX 760 (OC) WINDFORCE (2GB)
PSU: CORSAIR VX550W
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K Processor
MEM: 4*4GB, 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance DDR4 LPX, Dual Channel, non-bufferet, non-ECC (Blue)
HDD/SSD 1x Kingston SSDNOW300 60GB 1x SAMSUNG HD501LJ Seagate 500GB HDD
COOLER: 4x 120mm case fans 1x Hyper EVO 212 CPU cooler CoolerMaster
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma
Mouse: Zowie Gaming Mouse MSI FK1
OC: None

I can't get my computer to boot with all 4 ram inserted to my DIMM slots.

What have i done, to change it?
- I've checked atleast 5 times now, that the CPU AND the socket itself, on the motherboard, has no faulites, what so ever. I've had a friend witness it with me, so i was sure, it wasn't me looking wrong at something. Short and nice: I can assure you 100%, there's no bended pins on the socket and the CPU cooler, isn't too tight.

- 1. Stick in DIMMA1. Entered Setup (UEFI) and turned on XMP and Memory Try It! While in Memory Try It! I set the RAM speed to 2800 with timing of 16-16-16. I then saved the new configuration, exited UEFI and allowed the startup to continue.

2. After a good startup I shut down the computer and added another stick of RAM in DIMMA2. I started the computer and entered UEFI again and made sure XMP was still enabled and reset Memory Try It! (this would be disabled again after I added new RAM). I set the speed and timing as I did in #1. Saved the changes, exited setup and allowed the computer to boot.

3. Shutdown, add RAM in DIMMB1, start, repeat steps in #1 and #2.

4. Shutdown, add RAM in DIMMB2, enter setup, repeat steps in #1 and #2.

- Change every single RAM to every single DIMM slot, both as dual/single and just as 1 ram on each of the DIMM slot, only the last two DIMM slots with 2 RAM will boot up my pc (DIMMB1 and 2) "The DIMM slots furthest away from the CPU/CPU socket"

If i left out any info, that can provide intel for your guys, feel free to check it out: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289380.0

urbancamper

Distinguished
If you have 2 sets of dual channel memory, 1 set should go in slot 1 and 3, and the second in slot 2 and 4. In case you have already mixed the memory up, you can tell the kits apart by the serial #s on the memory.

Though from what your saying it sounds like you have a faulty motherboard. If all the ram works but not in 2 slots then you have 2 bad slots. Time for a mobo rma.

You also need a more powerful power supply. 550w is not enough for those 2 energy hogs. Plus running the motherboard, memory and the peripherals. That video card alone calls for a 500w power supply.

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Well. As you can tell, my RAM came together in one box, i'd say they all belong together as one big RAM. I don't know if it's 2 seperate RAM but i'd assume not, as i bought them as 4x4GB ram. It's like buying 2x8GB ram that runs dual channel.

What goes for my power supply? At that point i'm 100% sure it can run my mother and everything else without trouble, since a friend of mine, has a 750W PSU and he runs 2x Titan X Pascal, a VERY strong motherboard together with watercooling and a lot of storage devices. It'd wonder me like crazy if that should be my problem. I'm sry if i sound harsh in any way, but i'm really sure it ain't the case and IF that should be the case, then i'd love to see your source or an explanation of why my PSU is the problem.

My source: https://gyazo.com/496414359dc4337b2fdbf41a621e9689

urbancamper

Distinguished

I did not say your power supply is the problem. What I said is it is not enough for that setup. Neither is your friends for that matter since 1 titan requires a 600w power supply. That will cause damage down the line. This is not about his setup though. What I said was merely an observation about your power source.

As far as being able to tell that you bought all 4 pieces together instead of 2 dual channels. You did not previously mention this and I am not clairvoyant.

What I did say in regards to your memory is if all 4 sticks work in slot B1 and B2 but not in slot A1 and A2 then it is time to RMA the motherboard. Though I did not quite say it like this. I did say it.

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Just in case i need a better PSU, would this one be better, according to you? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B017NW4P1M/?tag=xov-de-21

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

What exactly does RMA mean? Like how do i do it and what requires of me, to do it? But i just thought, as i said it's 4x4GB DDR4 people automatically knew, they're together, but i guess not :)

IF my motherboard is the issue, it'd be a damn shame, as i bought it 7/7/17 and would have to say goodbye for like a month, would be a damn shame...

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

That's where the money becomes an issue, but trust me, i've thought of it. But my rig atm is just fine for me. But as you say it's a "decent" PSU you don't say, it's a "good" PSU which could mean that, if i were to buy a new card, USB devices or monitor. It won't be good enough? (planning for a 144hz)

urbancamper

Distinguished
RMA means Return Merchandise Authorization. As far as how to do it. Go to the vendor site, to find out.

You did say all the memory works but not in 2 slots? Again if that is the case then you need to return the motherboard.

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
My mistake what goes for down-voting your answer, didn't mean to. The layout for the homepage is just as white as my cursor and i just clicked.

What goes for my RAM and DIMM slots. It seems like no matter what i do, it won't boot up with RAM inserted onto the DIMMA1 and DIMMA2 DIMM slots. Not even as a single RAM (1 RAM)

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I'd just hate to do a RMA since, it can take up to a whole month for it to come back. (it'd mean i have to play on my old rig, which is DUAL core i3 CPU, with DDR3 Ram, pretty sad if that'd be the case) you're 100% sure, there's nothing i can try to do in BIOS or anything else, so that i can somehow "activate" the DIMM slots?

urbancamper

Distinguished
I do not think any of this will help. However here we go. Did you enable xmp in the bios?

You can disable cpus, but you can not disable memory. The memory controller is in the cpu chip so either the cpu memory controller is bad(highly unlikely), or you have 2 bad dims.

Just for kicks maybe your friend can let you borrow his power supply to see if that will fix the problem(highly unlikely).

That's about all I have. good luck.

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

I do have XMP enabled, but it has 2 different profiles, so i'm not entirely sure which one to use? But i'll buy a new PSU no matter what, which i don't know which one it'll be yet. But basically the ONLY solution that'd make the most sence, is RMA?

Eviac2370

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I'm just not sure, whether it's the RAM that's something wrong with or the DIMM slots. It could MAYBE be, that it doesn't like to run 4x4GB but just 2x8? It'd just be a bad idea to a RMA if it's my RAM that's causing the problem.