MSI Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium - Power Connectors

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
I have the Z270 as a mobo, and I'd like some clarification on some of the power connectors on it.

One is CPU_PWR2 which is a 4-pin, and the other is PCIE_PWR1 which is a 6-pin connector. I've never actually plugged the CPU_PWR2, and I have had PCIE_PWR1 both plugged and unplugged, and it works both ways. See picture below:

http://imgur.com/a/QSyzj

What's their use?

Solution
CPU_PWR2 delivers extra voltage/pins for CPU OC'ing. PCIE_PWR1 delivers extra voltage/pins for GPU OC'ing.

Both these power connectors are optional. You don't have to use them if you won't do extreme overclocking on your motherboard.
CPU_PWR2 delivers extra voltage/pins for CPU OC'ing. PCIE_PWR1 delivers extra voltage/pins for GPU OC'ing.

Both these power connectors are optional. You don't have to use them if you won't do extreme overclocking on your motherboard.

Solution

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017

Thanks raisonjohn! What qualifies as "extreme" overclocking? Is some overclocking okay with the current wiring?

Well, remember the older motherboards that only have 4-pin CPU sockets and a few power phases? Those are not really meant for OCing as voltage supplied is not sufficient for OC to be stable.

So, most, if not all, of the new motherboards have 8-pin CPU sockets and more power phases for OCing stability with the addition of 4 more pins (i.e., 2 pins supplying +12V, and 2 pins for ground). In fact, some CPUs can even work with just using 4 pins of those 8-pin socket (connecting only half).

Your motherboard is capable of higher voltage stability, with 16 power phases and with an 8-pin socket plus the addition of another 4-pin (i.e., all in all, you have 6 pins supplying +12V).

It's hard to quantify what "extreme OC" is (as it is dependent on specific components), but, generally, it means pushing your CPU/GPU to its LIMITS (with the highest clock speeds at sufficient voltage and sufficient cooling/temperature possible).

So, light (or even some more) OC bump from stock speeds is okay with the current wiring, without using those additional sockets, as long as your cooling/temp is okay.

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017

Brilliant thanks for clarifying!