MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming 'Coffee Lake' Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

berezini.2013

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
Ever since the all-msi build I have done; (Half the motherboard caught on fire with default settings, melted speaker cables near the case, and all caps poped like popcorn in the popcorn popper, I've never looked at another msi product and never had any dangerous issues again) Im way better off. BTW Msi motherboard and MSI graphics cards together are not compatible. Don't even try.

BugariaM

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
What about VRM design?
Again a handful of cheap 2c mosfets from NIKOS?

Well, purely my opinion - instead of the three useless Killer E2500 PCIe, it's better to have one Intel-based NIC

---
Pretty superficial review ...
Where is tech p0rn?

mablt

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Well, tech issues aside - IMHO it is the best named board ever - "Godlike Gaming with a Coffee Lake processor" - the imagery is stupendous! ;^)

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017
Such expensive boards for Z series should never exist. people will never pay $500 for 16 lanes motherboard what so ever ...

The whole point about the Z series is lower price point ... lower lanes (16 only) , half memory bandwidth (no Quad channels) . why would any one pay a high price for a product designed to be entry level ?

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

wrong, Their Graphics Products are the best .. they have the best cooler in the market . Silent and best performance. The x series .

C_peter

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Too many cooks spoil the soup. The article mentioned some features aren't available when another set of features is active. So not buying it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That should be "too many cooks spoils the broth". Without the extra "s", it could mean "many cooks spoil broth...too many". But with the extra "s" your treating the "many cooks" as a singular group, rather than a plural of individual cooks :D
Proof of this can be found by changing "too many cooks" to "too much input".

BTW, I see official grammar sites would disagree with my assessment, but that's because they aren't actually thinking about what's being said. Instead they're apply the rules for the sake of rules. Such is the case with "Sandy and I went to the market" but then "And Bill went to the market with Sandy and me". The "me" will make them throw fits until they actually think about what's being said. My experience with language professors indicates that most will refuse to consider these special cases.

We can still refer to the original, and I can say that the original author was grammatically correct when he wrote:
"When an undertaking hath been committed to many, it caused but confusion, and therefore it is a saying, Too many Cooks spoils the Broth".

To avoid argument, it's better to say "too much change spoils the result" rather than "too many changes spoil/spoils the result". And that type of argument avoidance can also be shown in the earlier version of the broth saying: "The more cooks the worse pottage"

Then again, fine words butter no parsnips...

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Actually, this is one fancy looking board, I wouldn't like it very much because it lacks any older style pci slots and only has one pci express slot. While it has four slots for gpus, I would rather have the extra pci express and pci slots than being able to add four gpus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Well then use the bottom slot as an x1 and maybe avoid some PCIe pathway conflicts in the process?

Allllrighty then!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes. In fact the bottom slot is actually only x4 to begin with, and supplied those lanes from the chipset after stealing some of them from onboard devices.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not only that, but when the forward part of the slot connector is open, you can stick in a longer card and usually have it work (at lower bandwidth).

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

You missed the power part. you cant get 75 watts out of 1 lane slot .. If I remember right it has 25 watts only. so you still have power restriction , not all cards will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.