[SOLVED] MSI Z370 Pro Carbon Limited to Four USB 2.0 for Front Panel?

BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
Hi,

I have had this problem for a while now and I have just assumed from my MSI Z370 Pro Carbon spec sheet it can only supply fully power to 4 USB 2.0 ports in the front panel. Well my chassis has 2 front 2.0 ports and I have a SD Card Reader in a 5.25 inch expansion bay that has 4 2.0 ports. The 4 2.0 ports on the SD Card Reader are fully power while the 2.0 Ports on the front of the chassis are in lower power state and will only accept certain devices. My question is since my motherboard only supports 4 USB 2.0 ports on the front panel is there a hardware limitation or a hardware problem?

Solution
I don't think they are limited in any way. Have you made sure that you've got the latest BIOS version on your motherboard? While also being on the latest version of Windows 10(20H2)? You might want to try and reinstall your chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that helps. Also, with the SD Card reader's make and model being devoid in your thread, it's hard to understand if the ports on the front panel bay area is powered externally from the PSU or if the ports are due to a hub on the bay device, or both.

Lutfij

Titan
I don't think they are limited in any way. Have you made sure that you've got the latest BIOS version on your motherboard? While also being on the latest version of Windows 10(20H2)? You might want to try and reinstall your chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that helps. Also, with the SD Card reader's make and model being devoid in your thread, it's hard to understand if the ports on the front panel bay area is powered externally from the PSU or if the ports are due to a hub on the bay device, or both.

Solution