[SOLVED] MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK or ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard

TheLegendCreator

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I need help deciding between two motherboards but so far I'm stuck between the MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK and ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4. Both of these are under $150 and so far they do a lot more for the price (I think). I've already purchased an intel i5 8600K processor with an NZXT kraken x52 cpu cooler (Might do some slight overclocking in the future) and I'm still holding back on the RAM because I want to purchase the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB DDR4 3000 Memory when it's on sale.

Personally, I think the MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK looks great and and offers just enough that I need while the ASRock Z390 offers more and its specs feels solid but I'm really unfamiliar with this brand and can't seem to find decent reviews or videos about this motherboard.

I can take any criticism, and I'm open to some other options regarding motherboards and RAM as well.

Solution
Pretty much depends on what you want from a board, both brands are quite good but there are things for example I would pick Asrock over MSI any day.
Besides offering good value for money, the Asrock boards generally have better overclocking bios which if you are interested in overclock then maybe that would be the deciding factor.

The Z390 is the newer chipset but you don't really need it if you have a 8600K, but at the same price doesn't hurt ;)

ohenryy

Honorable
Pretty much depends on what you want from a board, both brands are quite good but there are things for example I would pick Asrock over MSI any day.
Besides offering good value for money, the Asrock boards generally have better overclocking bios which if you are interested in overclock then maybe that would be the deciding factor.

The Z390 is the newer chipset but you don't really need it if you have a 8600K, but at the same price doesn't hurt ;)

Solution

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I need help deciding between two motherboards but so far I'm stuck between the MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK and ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4. Both of these are under $150 and so far they do a lot more for the price (I think). I've already purchased an intel i5 8600K processor with an NZXT kraken x52 cpu cooler (Might do some slight overclocking in the future) and I'm still holding back on the RAM because I want to purchase the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB DDR4 3000 Memory when it's on sale.

Personally, I think the MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK looks great and and offers just enough that I need while the ASRock Z390 offers more and its specs feels solid but I'm really unfamiliar with this brand and can't seem to find decent reviews or videos about this motherboard.

I can take any criticism, and I'm open to some other options regarding motherboards and RAM as well.

You probably already have a board or even a newer one besides these lol. I see this is a 2018 question. I have the z390 Asus PG4 and love it BUT...it doesn't have the quick overclock option as it states in the manual. it's disabled and says I must have an Intel CPU which I do. This seems to be a flaw or oversight. I contacted Asus about it and they said that option os for maintenance (HUH?) but it DOES overclock well. I have an intel i5 97XX 6-core 3.7GHz cpu and can easily get to 4.5GHz (I'm water cooled but good fan cooling also worked). Just an FYI. It's a decent enough board with great ports including dual m.2 Pcie channels but I'll research a bit more in the future. Sometimes those quick OC options are great when you just want to game really quick. Manual overclocking is always better but there's more to know what to do and not to do in the UEFI.

Cheers!