Question Msi z390 a-pro cpu swap kinda worked, but not rly

Oct 5, 2021
So today i swapped out my cpu, a 9600k for a 9900k and now i ran into some problems, I have a MSI z390 a-pro, wich supports the 9 series, but for some reason it didnt post with the 9900k in it, i had a Dram debug led go on when i booted. i tried every dimm slot, 1 ram stick all combinations really, wont post. swapping back to the 9600k everything worked as normal. i also tested the 9900k in a different system and it worked perfectly fine. So i redid it, same Dram light went on so i tried a old ramm kit i had, wich worked, but once in windows my ram was locked at 800 MHZ any try to get it back to anything above the 800mhz made it reboot with a overclock issue, i have updated the bios, and cleared the cmos.
The 9900k works perfectly fine on a b365 board, could there be any setting that is different on a z390 board, that is just a default setting (after clearing cmos) but could cause this problem between a 9600k and a 9900k.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, what BISO version are you on for your motherboard? How are you cooling that processor? Might want to inspect your Z series motherboard for any bent or broken CPU socket pins. Also, mind sharing the rest of your specs like rams, GPU, storage and PSU?

Oct 5, 2021
Thanks for the fast reply, i am running the cpu right now, its being cooled by a h120i , i have checked all sockets and pins, the 9900k is running in my pc right now, the ram speed is locked at 800 mhz, anything im trying to change manually above that will result in a failed settings reboot, and sends me back to the bios. the weird thing is, when i put in my 9600k everything works as intended, and when i test the 9900k in a b365 board, ,it works and runs at 2133 ram speed.

Edit: im running the latest msi bios for my board 7B98v1D