[SOLVED] Msi z390-a pro + ddr4 hyper x fury HX432C18FB2/8

May 2, 2019
I just bought the Msi z390-a pro + ddr4 hyper x fury HX432C18FB2/8 x2 (+ i7 8700 non-k) 3.2Mhz.
( in short so we skip the small talk about why not K version etc. , I just bought this Motherboard so the ram is supported up to 3.2MHZ + at least with no problems, I'm not interested in overclocking the CPU that's why it's a non-K, worse motherboards ( not Z ) where I live almost cost the same so it was an easy choice.)

Now I got 2 questions :

1. When I boot in bios the ram sticks are instantly recognized as 3.2Mhz with XMP OFF
Does this mean XMP doesn't have to be turned on since it's the rams Base 3.2 MHz speed and there's nothing to overclock?

2. How big of a problem it is if I use not the recommended A2-B2 slots for ram but B1+B2 (note that now in B1 B2 it's recognized - in A2 nothing is recognized at all)
- Now I know that I may have tightened the cooler on the CPU too much and I would need to recheck pins etc. but I only have time for this for the weekend - hence the A2 slot problem...
Please, can someone answer what's the downside of NOT using the so-called optimal slots?

Thank you in advance - for the answers.

Solution
1. When I boot in bios the ram sticks are instantly recognized as 3.2Mhz with XMP OFF
Does this mean XMP doesn't have to be turned on since it's the rams Base 3.2 MHz speed and there's nothing to overclock?

This is listed within the specs of the ram
• JEDEC/PnP: DDR4-3200 CL18-21-21 @1.2V -> Rated without XMP.
•XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3200 CL18-21-21 @1.2V
•XMP Profile #2: DDR4-2933 CL17-19-19 @1.2V

Seems dull and weird for me.... Only tigher timing.

2. How big of a problem it is if I use not the recommended A2-B2 slots for ram but B1+B2 (note that now in B1 B2 it's recognized - in A2 nothing is recognized at all)
- Now I know that I may have tightened the cooler on the CPU too much and I would need to recheck pins...

This is listed within the specs of the ram
• JEDEC/PnP: DDR4-3200 CL18-21-21 @1.2V -> Rated without XMP.
•XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3200 CL18-21-21 @1.2V
•XMP Profile #2: DDR4-2933 CL17-19-19 @1.2V

Seems dull and weird for me.... Only tigher timing.

- Now I know that I may have tightened the cooler on the CPU too much and I would need to recheck pins etc. but I only have time for this for the weekend - hence the A2 slot problem...
Please, can someone answer what's the downside of NOT using the so-called optimal slots?

There might be no problem at all, but you might not get the dual channel*

Are you refering as A1 and A2 as a channel or A1 B1?

I dont think you'd have to re check the pins , just loosen the screws a bit, just make sure that the temperature doesnt skyrocket, always check within the bios first then.

Solution
May 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply!
On manual it says optimal use of ram is A2 (second from Cpu) and B2 (4th from Cpu) - I now user B1+B2 ( 3rd and 4th slot :) )
Loosened screws - I will see how it goes later when I'm off work. :)
So do I understand it right I don't have to touch XMP?
Had 35*C in bios last time.. will see how it goes now that I loosened slightly.

TRENDING THREADS