[SOLVED] MSI Z390-A Pro Stuck at MB Splash Screen with VGA Light On.

Wcbrewer

Reputable
May 17, 2014
So after over two weeks of my newly built computer doing absolutely great and crushing everything I throw at it I have hit a road bump. The PSU I bought has some really ugly multicolored power cables so I decided to go on Amazon and buy some Phanteks all black braided extension cables just to improve the look of my PC's internals. This is where I have run into a problem and I don't believe that the power cables are atleast the direct culprit. After unplugging the old cables and plugging the new ones the EZ Debug VGA Light came on and my PC gets hung up on the MSI Motherboard splash screen. While on the page I am unable to interact with any of the boot options and it is just frozen for 60-80 seconds until eventually a ring starts spinning and within 20 seconds I am into windows with no problems at all. This is very upsetting as I was previously able to get into windows within 20 seconds of pressing the power button. I have tried swapping cables, unplugging my gpu, ram and other little fixes to no avail. The only troubleshooting tips I have seen online seem to involve people who cannot get into windows at all as where with me it just takes time. Hopefully somebody else has encountered this issue or one similar and will be able to assist me. I have listed my specs below. Thank You in advance.

MB: MSI Z390-A Pro LGA1151
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W 80+
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB
HDD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Wcbrewer

Reputable
May 17, 2014

Sorry to take so long to respond. I ended up catching a cold this weekend so I didn't feel like working on my PC. One of the first things I tried was unplugging and re-seating my GPU because of the way that I have it mounted in my case. I have it vertically mounted so I was worried the VGA Light was on due to the cable running from my GPU to the MB being faulty. This was not the case and it did not resolve the issue. As you suggested I did try running the system without the GPU present at all and the VGA light was still on and it still made it to windows after roughly 80 seconds. The next thing that you suggested that I tried was to re-install Windows. I did not want to lose all of my data so I just removed the SSD I use to boot from and re-installed windows on an old empty SSD. After installing and updating all of my drivers on that install of Windows still when I re-boot my computer the light comes on and takes 80-100 seconds to boot. The last thing I tried today was to clear all of my settings in the BIOS and clear the CMOS. Neither of which resolved the issue. I am open to any other suggestions but I am starting to believe that something is wrong with the motherboard and it is incorrectly diagnosing an issue at startup and then clearing it because after that it boots fine.