Question MSI Z390-A Pro Windows 10 restart issue

Nov 6, 2019
Completed this build recently and the only issue I’m having is that when I restart the system all peripherals turn off like it’s shutting down for restart, but the cpu fans and system fans continue to run and it’s like the restart never cycles. It will sit in this state forever.

I have tried turning off all fast restarts and power mode options and looked for setting in my bios as to why this would be happening but I am not sure.
Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/captcore/saved/#view=zgqFGX

Everything with windows 10 works. This is the only issue.

I am going to unhook everything today and wipe it all and start from square one. But I’ve tried reinstalling windows 10 a few times with no luck. I’m away from home right now and the PC is doing an attempt to fix start up repair so I’ll see if that’s fixed when I get back home. Just looking to see if this is a motherboard issue or what.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020
Completed this build recently and the only issue I’m having is that when I restart the system all peripherals turn off like it’s shutting down for restart, but the cpu fans and system fans continue to run and it’s like the restart never cycles. It will sit in this state forever.

I have tried turning off all fast restarts and power mode options and looked for setting in my bios as to why this would be happening but I am not sure.
Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/captcore/saved/#view=zgqFGX

Everything with windows 10 works. This is the only issue.

I am going to unhook everything today and wipe it all and start from square one. But I’ve tried reinstalling windows 10 a few times with no luck. I’m away from home right now and the PC is doing an attempt to fix start up repair so I’ll see if that’s fixed when I get back home. Just looking to see if this is a motherboard issue or what.
Thanks.

Were you ever able to fix this issue? I just installed this board to replace one that died and I’m having the exact same issue with windows 10 software restarts hanging.

Hardware reset button from the front panel works fine.

Also having issues with USB (front and back) not detecting new devices except on restart. After that peripherals seem to work fine. Not sure if it’s related to restart shenanigans.

Jun 1, 2020
It sounds like a missing ACPI driver. Try disabling it in BIOS or looking for a missing driver in windows.

Thank you for the suggestion! Looks like Windows believes its ACPI drivers are all up to date based on choosing update driver under device manager for the devices (that I know of) that are involved. There are a couple of unkonwn devices that it doesn't know what to do with. The MSI site doesn't seem to have a specific set of drivers that should touch this issue either. I will keep looking other places for the missing link and post if I manage to solve it.

One thing I found looking in the BIOS is this motherboard has a neat feature under Advanced where you can explore the board and see live what is plugged into different ports. The live detection of devices is working great in the BIOS so at least there is that.

To find out what device you need drivers for, use the string from the device manager in your favorite search engine or input it here.
FhvxQcc.jpg