Question MSI Z390-A PRO wrong BIOS version flash makes PC not turn on

May 17, 2022
Today I decided to update my bios, I downloaded the files, went into the bios and flashed it. After it finished the computer was completely dead.

I tried most things I've seen on the internet, taking the BIOS battery off, clearing CMOS shorting the two pins that reset BIOS, everything both on and off. I also unplugged everything except the cpu, one ram stick, an ssd and my gpu (plus the psu cables). Nothing happens, at all.

If I maintain the power button 10 seconds or so the pc makes the typical sound of turning on (a click), the system fans turn for half a second and any usb device connected gets power. There's a red led that lights briefly only once, close to the CPU.

I'm inclined to believe that I fried my mobo with a bad version update, since I've read that there was several versions I could have downloaded and I'm sure I flashed the wrong one.

¿Any idea of anything I can do myself to clear the cmos or force my computer to run? ¿Is it possible that I killed any other component with this stupid mistake or will it work propperly if I buy a new mobo?

I still dont understand how it completely refuses to power on at all... I've seen lots of people having this same issue and fixing it with a regular cmos clear or being able to at least boot the pc, but no luck on my side...

¿Does the usb ports getting power and the fans turning for a second mean that the PSU should be fine?

I'm completely lost, sorry for my bad english beforehand and thanks for the help.

May 17, 2022
What motherboard and CPU you have? What BIOS version you were at and to which you updated?
No components can be damaged by BIOS update.

I got no clue which one I had prior, that's where the issue comes from... I thought the flashing process was the same with every mobo that had the same name...

The one I flashed is the 7B98v1E1(Beta version).

It's a relief reading that no component can be damaged by flashing BIOS. I guess in the worst case I can buy a new motherboard and I'll be fine?

The one I flashed is the 7B98v1E1(Beta version).
Generally I don't advise using beta BIOS unless it has specific feature you must have (like CPU support for your new CPU).
I thought the flashing process was the same with every mobo that had the same name
Not quite so, sometimes it is more complicated. However in case of this board luckily it is not happening. No matter what BIOS version you had previously updating to latest one would not be mistake on its own.
I guess in the worst case I can buy a new motherboard and I'll be fine?
Worst case. Unfortunately you don't have much options left. Your CPU has integrated graphics, so you can try minimal build (CPU+1 stick of RAM and nothing else, video cable connected to motherboard). But if that won't work then you are in worst case as the board does not allow updating BIOS when bricked.
Does the usb ports getting power and the fans turning for a second mean that the PSU should be fine?
Theoretically it is possible that your PSU accidentally died at the very end on BIOS update. It would be super rare event but can't say it is impossible. If you have spare PSU to test do that, if not I would personally change motherboard first as it is more likely cause of the problem.

Also your other options are re-programming BIOS chip or just replacing it, although both require skills and equipment. Another option is take it as an chance for upgrade - instead of swapping just mobo you can change mobo and CPU to something newer.

Reactions: Tmzzzzz
May 17, 2022
Generally I don't advise using beta BIOS unless it has specific feature you must have (like CPU support for your new CPU).

Not quite so, sometimes it is more complicated. However in case of this board luckily it is not happening. No matter what BIOS version you had previously updating to latest one would not be mistake on its own.

Worst case. Unfortunately you don't have much options left. Your CPU has integrated graphics, so you can try minimal build (CPU+1 stick of RAM and nothing else, video cable connected to motherboard). But if that won't work then you are in worst case as the board does not allow updating BIOS when bricked.

Theoretically it is possible that your PSU accidentally died at the very end on BIOS update. It would be super rare event but can't say it is impossible. If you have spare PSU to test do that, if not I would personally change motherboard first as it is more likely cause of the problem.

Also your other options are re-programming BIOS chip or just replacing it, although both require skills and equipment. Another option is take it as an chance for upgrade - instead of swapping just mobo you can change mobo and CPU to something newer.

Thanks for your answer and time! I think I will buy a new motherboard, give it a try and if it doesen't work I'll buy a new psu. But the fans moving and the usb port having enough power to power any usb device for a brief moments makes me wonder, could this be happening if the PSU was done for? Can it recieve enough power to light minimal things but not to turn on the whole pc?

I'll try the minimal boot you're suggesting just in case because I'll be taking off all the components either way when the mobo arrives...

Given that I didn't boot the wrong version of the bios update I wonder how the hell did this happen... Maybe motherboard was faulty? Or the update has some kind of bug and I was unlucky enough to suffer it?

Thanks again for the replies and attention!

Can it recieve enough power to light minimal things but not to turn on the whole pc?
Yes, those kind of PSU problems are possible. They happen less frequently (usually PSU just dies completely) but they happen sometimes.
Maybe motherboard was faulty? Or the update has some kind of bug and I was unlucky enough to suffer it?
More likely the latter. Or something else. There is a reason we warn to not update BIOS when not necessary - if something wrong happens board is usually toast, and you rarely will ever learn what really happened.

Reactions: Tmzzzzz