Question MSI Z390 Pro and IDE mode ?

cylindricpanda

Prominent
Apr 14, 2020
I'm trying to use Spinrite to recover some data from a sata drive that was in a mac pro. as far as I know my mobile is running the latest bios for the board but I'm not right in front of it so I can't check for sure. Does this board support IDE mode or a different way I can get Spinrite to detect the drive? or should I have just gotten diskwarrior for mac instead?

I got Spinrite 'cos I figured it would be useful for my main pc as well as the mac, whereas diskwarrior only works on os x.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would think you will have to use an IDE to SATA adapter to see the disk at all.

The other issue would be if Windows can actually "see" the Mac format? Really gets outside my scope of knowledge as I try my best not to mess with Apple stuff.

I utilized a super cheapy little adapter (as above) to get some photos off a machine that was SUPER old. It worked semi well.

cylindricpanda

Prominent
Apr 14, 2020
I'm booting with spinrite since it uses freedos, and they claim it can work with mac formatted drives. it's less "getting the drive to work" more than "the filesystem in the drive is a bit wonky and I'm trying to fix it"