[SOLVED] MSI z390m - HDMI or DP for HDR?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I have an MSI z390m Gaming Edge motherboard.

I'm looking to run Windows 11 in HDR mode connected to a Sony KE55A8 TV (which can process HDR10 and Dolby Vision)
Currently, Windows doesn't recognise the TV as being an HDR monitor - using on board processor graphics in the Intel i5 9500.
I've come to realise my cable may be HDMI 1.4 so no HDR - a new one is coming tomorrow but wondering if the motherboard is outputting HDR?

The specs of the motherboard say:

• 1 x HDMI™ port, supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz
  • 1 x DisplayPort, supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@60Hz
The TV only has an HDMI input so can't use the DP on the motherboard.

Should I get a new HDMI cable that is v2.0b or is there any benefit in getting a DP to HDMI cable?

Solution
The concurrent generation of motherboard's state what revision port is equipped with the board. I'd advise trying out a cable and seeing if you get HDR functionality on your panel with the motherboard, since it's not stated in the specs sheet nor in the manual but probably try a cable borrowed from a friend or neighbor as opposed to buying one. This thread might be worth a read.

Lutfij

Titan
The concurrent generation of motherboard's state what revision port is equipped with the board. I'd advise trying out a cable and seeing if you get HDR functionality on your panel with the motherboard, since it's not stated in the specs sheet nor in the manual but probably try a cable borrowed from a friend or neighbor as opposed to buying one. This thread might be worth a read.

Reactions: Oasis Curator
Solution