[SOLVED] MSI Z490-A Pro / Corsair 32gb DDR4 3600MHz fails XMP

CaptOwen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2017
Hi all,

Long time computer tinkerer but I've never really delved into XMP before.

I've recently upgraded my system to include a MSI Z490-A Pro, i7-10700k and Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb (2x 16gb) DDR4 3600MHz but in my Bios I can see that my RAM is only running at 2666MHz when it appears that it can run at 3600MHz.

Following some tutorials online I enabled XMP in by BIOS settings which gave the following values:

XMP > Enabled
DDR4 3600MHz 18-22-22-41 1.350V
DRAM Reference Clock > 133 (auto)
DRAM Frequency > 20 (auto)
Adjusted DRAM Frequency 3600MHz
Memory Try it! > Disabled
DRAM Timing Mode > Link
Memory Fast Boot > Auto

Once saved and restarted I'm presented with a page saying that the XMP overclock has failed and it puts me back in the bios. I tried to up the DRAM Voltage to 1.500v after seeing some posts on the forum but once saved also fails.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,

CaptOwen

Solution
Hi Logainofhades,

Thanks for your advice.

I performance a BIOS flash and double checked that the RAM was in the correct slots but unfortunately to no avail.

After much fiddling with settings, I found that the RAM will run quite happily at XMP 3200MHz instead of the advertised 3600MHz. Not entirely sure why I can't squeeze the extra 400MHz out of the RAM but small performance increase probably doesn't justify much more investigation.

Hope that this post can help someone in a similar situation.

Cheers,

Owen

CaptOwen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2017
Hi Logainofhades,

Thanks for your advice.

I performance a BIOS flash and double checked that the RAM was in the correct slots but unfortunately to no avail.

After much fiddling with settings, I found that the RAM will run quite happily at XMP 3200MHz instead of the advertised 3600MHz. Not entirely sure why I can't squeeze the extra 400MHz out of the RAM but small performance increase probably doesn't justify much more investigation.

Hope that this post can help someone in a similar situation.

Cheers,

Owen

Reactions: logainofhades
Solution