Question MSI Z490 EZ Debug CPU white light of doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2022
Hi guys,

I just bought a new GPU which necessitated a new PSU and case to house it. Somehow in the transfer of everything to the new case the EZ Debug CPU light has come on and won't ah heck off. Everything seems to power up fine... GPU, PSU, CPU, and case fans all spinning but no display on monitor. I feel like I've tried nearly everything...

• reseating everything multiple times
  • resetting CMOS by removing battery and holding power button
  • hooking up old GPU and PSU
  • checking CPU for damage (all looks fine)
  • booting up with only one RAM stick
Nothings made a difference and I'm still at square one. Could the board really have just commited suicide for some unknown reason because it didn't like being unsettled?! It's the only thing I can think of. Anyone know what's up? Thanks

Also, don't know if it means anything but keyboard and mouse don't power up when everything's on.

MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk
I9 10850k
32GB HyperX DDR4
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3

Last edited:
First make sure motherboard standoffs are in correct positions so nothing shorts on new case. Second, go to last known working setup (that is old PSU and old GPU). If it works, start up by adding new components one by one. If it does not work then it may be one of your old components decided to die in the transfer.

Jun 25, 2022
First make sure motherboard standoffs are in correct positions so nothing shorts on new case. Second, go to last known working setup (that is old PSU and old GPU). If it works, start up by adding new components one by one. If it does not work then it may be one of your old components decided to die in the transfer.

I've just 'breadboarded' it and set up all components outside of the case and still the same thing. I've already tried last known good setup to no avail. Starting to feel like it just gave up the ghost for no reason.

I've just 'breadboarded' it and set up all components outside of the case and still the same thing. I've already tried last known good setup to no avail. Starting to feel like it just gave up the ghost for no reason.
Might be. One last thing to check is CPU slot for bent pins (even if you did not remove cooler when swapping case this still could happen). Otherwise you are in that tough spot where you have to decide what died: CPU or mobo.

Jun 25, 2022
Might be. One last thing to check is CPU slot for bent pins (even if you did not remove cooler when swapping case this still could happen). Otherwise you are in that tough spot where you have to decide what died: CPU or mobo.

Mobo from the looks of it. Like is said, I've checked the cpu socket and all seems well. Bit of a shame if that's the case. Neither are that old.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put the gpu in the second slot. Many times the bios has a hard time seperating different gens via the cpu pcie lanes. The second slot uses chipset lanes, so the chipset will force feed the cpu the info it requires. Once the cpu/bios wraps its head around the idea of a gpu, you can return it to the primary slot.

It's a common issue with the 30 series cards.

Jun 25, 2022
Put the gpu in the second slot. Many times the bios has a hard time seperating different gens via the cpu pcie lanes. The second slot uses chipset lanes, so the chipset will force feed the cpu the info it requires. Once the cpu/bios wraps its head around the idea of a gpu, you can return it to the primary slot.

It's a common issue with the 30 series cards.

Just gave it a try, but unfortunately no dice. Good idea though. I did think of that earlier but forgot to actually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.