Question MSI z490 pro automatically overclocking? :oud fan noise and high idle cpu temps (i9 10850k).

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

I installed a msi z490 pro a today with an i9 10850k and a Evo hyper 212 cooler. My temperatures are around 45-60 when browsing and the fan speed changes quite often. CPU-Z says the core speed is 4.8 ghz, but the cpu should be at 3.6 ghz, so I am guessing the motherboard is overclocking/boosting the cpu. Does anyone know how to adjust these settings with this motherboard? I just want to lower the temps and stop it from boosting the cpu (is that because of intel turbo boost?). Hopefully that will help with hte fan noise...I read that one should disable MCE, but I can't find this setting in the bios.

Thank you

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's because of TVB(Thermal Velocity Boost) exclusive to the 10th gen i9s:
Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency

Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost (Intel® TVB) is a feature that opportunistically and automatically increases clock frequency above single-core and multi-core Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequencies based on how much the processor is operating below its maximum temperature and whether turbo power budget is available. The frequency gain and duration is dependent on the workload, capabilities of the processor and the processor cooling solution.

It is active up to 70C.

It's boosting because the thermals aren't a problem... so there is no problem here.

Just set a higher fan curve. That'll be easier on your ears than setting it low, only for it to revv up and down often due to sudden spikes in temp.

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
It's because of TVB(Thermal Velocity Boost) exclusive to the 10th gen i9s:
Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency

Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost (Intel® TVB) is a feature that opportunistically and automatically increases clock frequency above single-core and multi-core Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequencies based on how much the processor is operating below its maximum temperature and whether turbo power budget is available. The frequency gain and duration is dependent on the workload, capabilities of the processor and the processor cooling solution.

It is active up to 70C.

It's boosting because the thermals aren't a problem... so there is no problem here.

Just set a higher fan curve. That'll be easier on your ears than setting it low, only for it to revv up and down often due to sudden spikes in temp.
So it isn't strange that it never goes down to 3.6 ghz? It seems unnecessary for it always to be clocked at 4.8 ghz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So it isn't strange that it never goes down to 3.6 ghz?
No? It's like free performance?
You could just enable Windows' Balanced power plan and disable TVB in bios?

I forgot to mention: MCE(Multi Core Enhancement) is coined by Asus. That's why you couldn't find it, or probably passed over it.
If you're running Dragon Center, but need to control LEDs via Mystic Light, uninstall DC and install ML separately: https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download (3rd from the top)
DC can apply all core turbos automatically and without your permission.

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
No? It's like free performance?
You could just enable Windows' Balanced power plan and disable TVB in bios?

I forgot to mention: MCE(Multi Core Enhancement) is coined by Asus. That's why you couldn't find it, or probably passed over it.
If you're running Dragon Center, but need to control LEDs via Mystic Light, uninstall DC and install ML separately: https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download (3rd from the top)
DC can apply all core turbos automatically and without your permission.
I never installed dragon center and balanced plan is enabled. I disabled enhanced turbo (I think it is the MCE equivalent) but still no difference

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88