Mobo: MSI Z490 Unify
Cpu: I7 10700k
Cpu Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Gpu: MSI 2080 Rtx Gaming X Trio
Psu: Seasonic Focus Plus PX 850w Platinum
Ram: 32GB(2x16Gb) 3200mhz HyperX Fury
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Hdd:2tb Wd Black
Case: BeQuiet Pure Base 500dx(2 14cm front intake fan, 1 14cm rear exhaust).

I did not do much in the bios. I set only Xmp for Profiel 1. So the ram frequency is perfectly 3200mhz. I set also the cooler for Tower Cooler.
I have run an Intel Diagnostic Tool Stress test. The temperatures did not go above 80c degrees. In Idle the temperatures are around between 34-39c degrees. So the temperatures looks fine to me.

So my concern is:
Somebody told me for more stablity and longer life of the cpu I need to set fix Vcore.
Do I need to do overclocking in the bios or can I leave everything on Auto due that I do not planning to overclock and the system runs perfectly fine?
If I need to overclock Someone can help me where to start. I have never done that before and I dont want to mess up anything.

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
Somebody told me for more stablity and longer life of the cpu I need to set fix Vcore.
This is complete BOLLOCKS.
Today's cpus take care of themselves pretty darn well to the point that us, as users, actually make both of these worse when we're trying to tweak them for whatever reason.
Oh, the IRONY...

Now, if we're talking about overclocking, fixed Vcore is just easier to tune than using dynamic(adaptive/offset) voltage settings.

Do I need to do overclocking in the bios or can I leave everything on Auto due that I do not planning to overclock and the system runs perfectly fine?
You need not do anything; leave it on auto. Besides, the 10700K and 10900K have no real OC headroom to speak of. Intel already binned that...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Today's cpus take care of themselves pretty darn well to the point that us, as users, actually make both of these worse when we're trying to tweak them for whatever reason.
Oh, the IRONY...

Now, if we're talking about overclocking, fixed Vcore is just easier to tune than using dynamic(adaptive/offset) voltage settings.

You need not do anything; leave it on auto. Besides, the 10700K and 10900K have no real OC headroom to speak of. Intel already binned that silicon as high as it could go; that's why the 10850K exists, as they're 10900K failures.
The 10600K, on the other hand... fun little chip to tweak, from what I've seen and heard, making itself faster than the other 2 cpus at stock.

If I need to overclock Someone can help me where to start. I have never done that before and I dont want to mess up anything.
1)Link to the overclocking sticky: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/overclocking-cooling-and-water-cooling-sticky-index.2664784/

2)All the more reason not to mess with it.
Overclocking is a hobby, not a feature - contrary to what it's constantly advertised as. You'll either develop a passion for it, or you'll hate it.
If you're not up for time consumed, trial and error process and the troubleshooting that comes with it, leave it alone.

I will add that there's an easy way to do it, but your current cpu cooler can't handle it. Gonna have to skip straight to a 360mm performance hybrid cooler or custom liquid for that one.
All Z boards have a feature called All Core Enhancement, or Multi Core Enhancement(Asus), that auto OCs the cpu for you... but the 10700K will pull too much power under heavy loads for the NH-D15 to deal with.
Not concerned with loads like simple browsing and watching videos, but something heavier, like stress testing for OC stability, or heavily threaded games - or if they happen to run AVX, things get out of hand.

More irony: The 10th gen cpus don't run all that hot out of the box thanks to the power limits Intel set on them.
At the same time, one can't maximize their performance without raising/removing said limits, but once that's done, they run stupid hot under load; the 10900K can be observed pulling over 300w under stress tests.
That's bloody high end gpu levels of heat - not like the stock power limits weren't already up there:
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

Ultimately your choice whether to try it or not, and then you'll either love it or hate it from there.

Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Oh, the IRONY...

You need not do anything; leave it on auto. Besides, the 10700K and 10900K have no real OC headroom to speak of. Intel already binned that silicon as high as it could go; that's why the 10850K exists, as they're 10900K failures.
The 10600K, on the other hand... fun little chip to tweak, from what I've seen and heard, making itself faster than the other 2 cpus at stock.

1)Link to the overclocking sticky: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/overclocking-cooling-and-water-cooling-sticky-index.2664784/

2)All the more reason not to mess with it.
Overclocking is a hobby, not a feature - contrary to what it's constantly advertised as. You'll either develop a passion for it, or you'll hate it.
If you're not up for time consumed, trial and error process and the troubleshooting that comes with it, leave it alone.

I will add that there's an easy way to do it, but your current cpu cooler can't handle it. Gonna have to skip straight to a 360mm performance hybrid cooler or custom liquid for that one.
All Z boards have a feature called All Core Enhancement, or Multi Core Enhancement(Asus), that auto OCs the cpu for you... but the 10700K will pull too much power under heavy loads for the NH-D15 to deal with.
Not concerned with loads like simple browsing and watching videos, but something heavier, like stress testing for OC stability, or heavily threaded games - or if they happen to run AVX, things get out of hand.

More irony: The 10th gen cpus don't run all that hot out of the box thanks to the power limits Intel set on them.
At the same time, one can't maximize their performance without raising/removing said limits, but once that's done, they run stupid hot under load; the 10900K can be observed pulling over 300w under stress tests.
That's bloody high end gpu levels of heat - not like the stock power limits weren't already up there:
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

Ultimately your choice whether to try it or not, and then you'll either love it or hate it from there.
Thanks a lot. This is quite precise information.

So as I understood if I leave everything on Auto its more than enough for me? Except the Xmp.

Reactions: 7medd

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aye, and XMP is easy enough to toggle on and off.

Some people get too hung up on it. The 'hassle' involved for a few % gain - if that - isn't worth it, and depending on other variables, it doesn't do all that much beyond increasing power consumption.
The 10700K can already hit 5.0-5.1ghz on its own. Even Silicon Lottery(company) wasn't able to squeeze much more out it:
Comet LakeAll Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyPer Core FrequencyAll Core Die Sense VcorePower Limit% Capable
10700K4.90GHz4.80GHz4C+100MHz1.190V210W100%
10700K5.00GHz4.90GHz4C+100MHz1.210V220WTop 63%
10700K5.10GHz5.00GHz4C+100MHz1.230V240WTop 22%
10700K5.20GHz5.10GHz4C+100MHz1.250V270WTop 2%
Source: https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Bottom line: The 10700K, like the 10850K and 10900K, has great out of the box performance. Overclocking it doesn't have much to give, but higher power consumption and a greater expenditure on your end for a bigger cooler.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Aye, and XMP is easy enough to toggle on and off.

Some people get too hung up on it. The 'hassle' involved for a few % gain - if that - isn't worth it, and depending on other variables, it doesn't do all that much beyond increasing power consumption.
The 10700K can already hit 5.0-5.1ghz on its own. Even Silicon Lottery(company) wasn't able to squeeze much more out it:
Comet LakeAll Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyPer Core FrequencyAll Core Die Sense VcorePower Limit% Capable
10700K4.90GHz4.80GHz4C+100MHz1.190V210W100%
10700K5.00GHz4.90GHz4C+100MHz1.210V220WTop 63%
10700K5.10GHz5.00GHz4C+100MHz1.230V240WTop 22%
10700K5.20GHz5.10GHz4C+100MHz1.250V270WTop 2%
Source: https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Bottom line: The 10700K, like the 10850K and 10900K, has great out of the box performance. Overclocking it doesn't have much to give, but higher power consumption and a greater expenditure on your end for a bigger cooler.
You are awesome man. Thanks a lot. So in this case I dont really bother myself with overclocking. Especially because the temperatures are just perfectly fine for me. Cooler than on my brothers similar setup with 9900k :) So I have just enabled Xmp to profile 1 and set the cooler for Tower cooler in bios. I left everything on default(Auto).

Ps. I believe the vcore/temps/core ratio fluctating is normal even in desktop mode?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
No need to do anything.
XMP only applies to ram.
It copies the settings embedded in the ram itself to set the proper voltage timing and speed to run at 3200.
It is a short handed way to setting those parameters yourself.
Leave XMP be.

Run CPU-Z. If you see the multiplier varying, you are good to go.
The motherboard defaults have taken care of things for you.
Otherwise implement speedstep and adaptive voltage so that when the cpu has little to do, the multiplier and voltage will drop.

The value of overclocking the 10th gen processors is to get all cores running at top speed to do work that is heavily multithreaded.
For more lightly threaded games, just let the turbo mechanism take care of things.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
No need to do anything.
XMP only applies to ram.
It copies the settings embedded in the ram itself to set the proper voltage timing and speed to run at 3200.
It is a short handed way to setting those parameters yourself.
Leave XMP be.

Run CPU-Z. If you see the multiplier varying, you are good to go.
The motherboard defaults have taken care of things for you.
Otherwise implement speedstep and adaptive voltage so that when the cpu has little to do, the multiplier and voltage will drop.

The value of overclocking the 10th gen processors is to get all cores running at top speed to do work that is heavily multithreaded.
For more lightly threaded games, just let the turbo mechanism take care of things.
Thank You. Yes I enabled the XMP to profile 1 which is the 3200mhz. So I let the Xmp do its thing.

The multiplier of the cpu is varying. So it is okay as well.
Thanks to all of you.
Now I know that if I leave everything on default it is perfectly fine for me :)