Question Msi z590. Have power but no display. Boot led is green, debug led code A1.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I just built a new system. Everything is wired and connected properly. When I power on the system all the fans run, all the rgb lights up and everything seems to work but I don't have any display at all. The boot led on the mobo is green and the debug led code is showing an "A1" error code. I cleared cmos and updated bios via flashback button. I feel like if I could get to the bios screen that could fix the boot issue but I can't get a display. I tried the display port and hdmi port on my gpu but still nothing. My cpu doesn't have integrated graphics so I can't use the mobo display from the rear io. Any help would be appreciated

System is brand new except psu and gpu.

Msi z590 gaming carbon wifi
i7 10700k
2x8gb Tforce extreem 3200mhz
GTX 1070
1000w psu
Msi mag coreliquid 240r AIO.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Pull the gpu out and see if you can post.
Still nothing. Still have the A1 debug code and boot led light. I'm starting to think I need to rma the board. I'd hate to do it because I'm sure if I had integrated graphics I could troubleshoot it and fix it but I can't get to the bios screen.
Pull the gpu out and see if you can post.
Still nothing. I'm thinking I need to rma the board but I'd hate to do it for something that's probably a simple fix. I should have spent the extra few dollars on a cpu with integrated graphics.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I'll try cleaning the gpu connections. The gpu fans run for a few seconds when I turn the system on and the gpu was working when I pulled it out of the old system that crapped out. I'll try different slots too

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
A1 is no GUP detected and no built in graphics.
Nevermind i found the problem. There's one broken and two bent socket pins in different spots of the cpu socket. Motherboard is trash. I have no idea how. Put the cpu in and lower the latch. I never touched the pins. I highly doubt newegg will RMA it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Nevermind i found the problem. There's one broken and two bent socket pins in different spots of the cpu socket. Motherboard is trash. I have no idea how. Put the cpu in and lower the latch. I never touched the pins. I highly doubt newegg will RMA it.
I was going to tell you to reset the CPU. Good luck with a RMA for bent pins their always turned down.

Reactions: Sidepiece86

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
350 ouch!
I know! Don't rub it in lol😭 Worse part is this isn't my first build. I tried to update the bios on a board a few years when I upgraded processors. I couldn't get it to go to bios with the new cpu so I decided to put the old cpu back in. (me being impatient) I removed the heat sink, removed the cpu then picked up the heatsink to move it out of the way.... Fresh thermal paste dripped down into the cpu socket. I tried to scrape it out with a sewing needle. I dropped the needle and it laid down between the pins... In the thermal paste I was trying to dig out... In my attempt to dig out the sewing needle I broke 4 pins. It was an old asus z87-a motherboard that served me well for years. All just to use a 4790k that I never got to use. I was upgrading from an ancient i3 which is still on my desk lol

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I know! Don't rub it in lol😭 Worse part is this isn't my first build. I tried to update the bios on a board a few years when I upgraded processors. I couldn't get it to go to bios with the new cpu so I decided to put the old cpu back in. (me being impatient) I removed the heat sink, removed the cpu then picked up the heatsink to move it out of the way.... Fresh thermal paste dripped down into the cpu socket. I tried to scrape it out with a sewing needle. I dropped the needle and it laid down between the pins... In the thermal paste I was trying to dig out... In my attempt to dig out the sewing needle I broke 4 pins. It was an old asus z87-a motherboard that served me well for years. All just to use a 4790k that I never got to use. I was upgrading from an ancient i3 which is still on my desk lol
I been doing this about 20 years LOL had my own shop at one time I have so many horror stories I could make a movie (most mistakes made by customers but I have had a few)

It is also possible the board came that way but when they started putting the covers over the socket they stopped accepting RMA's on bent pins it's not newegg's fault they cant give you a RMA and the board maker denies the return.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I been doing this about 20 years LOL had my own shop at one time I have so many horror stories I could make a movie (most mistakes made by customers but I have had a few)

It is also possible the board came that way but when they started putting the covers over the socket they stopped accepting RMA's on bent pins it's not newegg's fault they cant give you a RMA and the board maker denies the return.
It's all good. Yeah I'm out of a chunk of change but I've got too much invested in the other components to not get a new board. Building a pc always carries risk but when it's done and you've got it customized the way you want and everything works. You can look at it and say "I did this" I've never done a custom loop before but thats my next goal. I want to use glass tubing. I love building and customizing. The only way to get better is to screw up once in awhile

It's all good. Yeah I'm out of a chunk of change but I've got too much invested in the other components to not get a new board. Building a pc always carries risk but when it's done and you've got it customized the way you want and everything works. You can look at it and say "I did this" I've never done a custom loop before but thats my next goal. I want to use glass tubing. I love building and customizing. The only way to get better is to screw up once in awhile
You have nothing to lose to try and bend them back in place.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
AWW sorry I didn't realize you had a missing pin.
I actually found a video showing how to replace a broken pin by pulling one from an old board and heating the socket to soften the solder and placing it in. I still have that old asus z87-a full of perfectly good pins and my brother has a soldering station and tools. Might try to fix it just to see if I can. If not it's no big deal. I'm ordering another board in 2 weeks

Aug 2, 2021
So my question would be why didn't the power up diagnostic LEDs keep RED lit for CPU?!
I'm having a similar issue with WHITE staying on and GREEN above it and since RED came on and went off, I'm thinking CPU is fine.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
So my question would be why didn't the power up diagnostic LEDs keep RED lit for CPU?!
I'm having a similar issue with WHITE staying on and GREEN above it and since RED came on and went off, I'm thinking CPU is fine.
Each pin has a purpose except some don't. The cpu could have been detected as a perfectly good cpu therefore no cpu led or debug code for a cpu issue. I followed the traces from the edge of the socket closest to the broken pin. Some went to pcie slots, some went to memory. I'm not completely sure the two other pins that were bent on the opposite side of the socket were making good contact either after I straightened them. The traces from those pins went straight to pcie slots so my thought is. It wouldn't boot because the broken pin had something to do with the memory modules and the two bent pins were something to do with the pcie slots. Memory malfunction kept me from booting, pcie malfunctions kept me from having display.