[SOLVED] MSI Z590 Pro Wifi

Stuffz121

Honorable
Dec 15, 2016
Hi

I’m currently trying to put a PC together and I am considering using this MSI motherboard or the exact same one but the non-wifi variant.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z590-A-PRO

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z590-PRO-WIFI

I just wanted to ask whether or not WiFi motherboards are decent compared to what I currently use which is a usb wifi stick?

Obviously I would want to do Ethernet connection or some power line adapter type of thing but for now let’s say that is not possible for me and it has to be a wireless connection from my PC to the router.

So ya could anyone please tell me from actual experience how good/bad Wifi motherboards are or if it’s best I use a dedicated wifi card or a USB wifi?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be very appreciated. For sure I’m getting this motherboard, just not sure if I’d pay extra for that wifi. Thanks again everyone.

Solution
The WIFI should use the chipset not the PCI-E lanes.

INTEL® WI-FI 6E AX210 ..
  • The Wireless module is pre-installed in the M.2 (Key-E) slot
Yep its Key -E... so it could be either way (but it should be PCI-E x1 at least by specs).
Key -E - 2x PCIe x1 / USB 2.0 / I2C / SDIO /UART / PCM
Integrated Wi-fi usually on more mature and midrange-high end boards are better than almost every USB adapter out there (maybe even all) because integrated Wi-fi usually works with PCI-E lanes so... it should be faster and more stable than any USB Module.
Maybe only some expensive 30-40$ +++ PCI-E Wi-fi adapters will be better than your integrated one.

Stuffz121

Honorable
Dec 15, 2016
Integrated Wi-fi usually on more mature and midrange-high end boards are better than almost every USB adapter out there (maybe even all) because integrated Wi-fi usually works with PCI-E lanes so... it should be faster and more stable than any USB Module.
Maybe only some expensive 30-40$ +++ PCI-E Wi-fi adapters will be better than your integrated one.
I see. If I understand how this motherboard’s wifi would work, the antennas would be on the outside on the I/O panel. So it would not be through a PCI lane correct? Would you consider this motherboard a mid range? Thanks again for your thoughts.

Well Z590 is the best chipset Intel has, so your motherboard is midrange and above...
The antennas has nothing to do with the wi-fi adapter, they should be outside for better coverage always...
All Integrated wi-fi adapter use PCI-E bus, so they all use PCI-E lanes...