[SOLVED] MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Audio Issue: Audio output only on the left-hand speakers

Feb 13, 2019
Hi All,

For some time I have an Audio issue with my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard: The motherboard outputs both the audio for the left-hand and right-hand speakers through the left-hand speakers of my audio devices.
The issue came after installing a clean install of Windows 10. I then installed most of the drivers using Windows 10 update, the only drivers I installed manually are the Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller and Sound Blaster Cinema drivers.

I have tried to remove the Realtek HD Audio and Sound Blaster Cinema drivers and to re-install them with downloads from the manufacturer's website. I used Ccleaner to fix potential registery issues/error and rebooted my system before re-installing the drivers. I've also updated my BIOS to the latest version, but the issue still persists.

To be thorough I've screwed open my desktop to check with the motherboard manual if the cables where still in place and connected to the right ports on the motherboard, which they were. Then, I've connected the AUDPWR1 to the PSU and flipped the AUD_SW1 switch to see if that had any effect. It did not. I've also tried to switch up the connectors connected to the JAUD1 port. AC'97 did not give any power to the front audio jack, while HDAUDIO did. So the HDAUDIO is what's currently connected to the JAUD1 port. Both audio devices (headphones and speakers) do work properly on my laptop, tv and phone, so its not because of faulty audio devices.

I am currently planning on rewiring the whole system to make sure everything is connected correctly (my system needs better cable management anyways.) and most likely I will install a new clean install of Windows 10 while I am at it.
But, before I do all of that. I would like to hear your suggestions on this matter and see if I can get this resolved in a way other than re-doing my whole system.

For what it's worth I will put a list of devices and drivers with versions installed on my computer below. If there is any information missing, please let me know.

Audio Devices:
Steelseries Syberia V2
Logitech Speaker System Z906

Operating System:
Windows 10 Education 64-bits (10.0, build 17134)

Motherboard:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard
System model MS-7917
BIOS V1.13

Drivers:
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Version 6.0.1.8010
Sound Blaster Cinema 2 Version 1.00.08
AMI BIOS Version 1.D

p.s. If this isn't the correct forum to post this issue, please let me know where to post it :)

Solution
I did check both front and rear ports, both have the same issue. Which got me thinking that it might be a wiring issue. For me, the next most logical step would be to just re-do the whole wiring in my desktop, to try and get everyting set up right.

If it is both front and back, then I have a hard time imagining a wiring problem. The rear port is hardwired and (I assume) you didn't mess with any wires when reloading Windows. A driver issue is the most likely. Some Windows 7 drivers work with Windows 10 ... I would be tempted to give the drivers on the disk a try.

EDIT *** Been doing some reading and you are not the only to have an issue with this hardware. Claimed solutions seem iffy, but most entail using this driver or...
So straight out of the box it was working fine, but when you installed a fresh copy of windows this started. That sounds like a software issue. Replacing drivers is the first step (sounds like you did). If it's not a setting that is off (fader is not set all the way left? ... realtek audio control panel ... bottom left corner of page A-2 of your manual) or plugging into the wrong port (page A-5), then it might be a driver buried deep in Windows. A repair install might be easier than digging up the problem.

Then again, a hardware issue is still possible. A bad port? I assume you checked both front and rear ports. If the hardware is defective you could consider replacing the motherboard or turning off onboard audio in BIOS and using a discrete solution.

Feb 13, 2019
So straight out of the box it was working fine, but when you installed a fresh copy of windows this started.

Correct. I might add that the first time I installed and used the motherboard, I used the drivers that came on the CD with the motherboard. However, those drivers aren't quite compatible with windows 10 as those are windows 7 and older drivers. Also, it doesnt quite matter what driver version I install. I even installed the Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec as stated in the manual (Page EN-2). The issue still persists.

Then again, a hardware issue is still possible. A bad port? I assume you checked both front and rear ports.

I did check both front and rear ports, both have the same issue. Which got me thinking that it might be a wiring issue. For me, the next most logical step would be to just re-do the whole wiring in my desktop, to try and get everyting set up right.

If it is both front and back, then I have a hard time imagining a wiring problem. The rear port is hardwired and (I assume) you didn't mess with any wires when reloading Windows. A driver issue is the most likely. Some Windows 7 drivers work with Windows 10 ... I would be tempted to give the drivers on the disk a try.

EDIT *** Been doing some reading and you are not the only to have an issue with this hardware. Claimed solutions seem iffy, but most entail using this driver or that driver. I would be tempted to go with a $10-$20 USB sound card because I have a feeling a motherboard/CPU/memory upgrade will happen in the next year or two (maybe???)

Solution