MSI z97 Gaming 5 MBO, Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 Problems. Cant get drive to work.

Oct 6, 2018
Howdy, I've encountered a problem with the new SSD I just bought;

I have an MSI z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard and today I bought a Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 SSD. I plugged the card into M.2 port but can't seem to get my it to boot into my PC; As soon as I plug it up my computer prompted a message saying '' An operating system was not found, try disconnecting any drive that doesn't contain an operating system''.

I've tried everything I could think but nothing works, according to the manual once an m.2 slot is activated SATA ports 5 and 6 are unusable, so I rearranged my hard drive leaving that two slot bare but it then didn't work.

I unplugged all SSD and HDD except my Operating System SSD 850 and my new 970 SSD, changing and plugging them into all available SATA ports slots and still nothing has worked. Every time I try to boot my computer up the OS hard drive cannot be found.

I flashed my Motherboard, and my EVO 970 is always listed under available bootable drives in the BIOS menu but I always disable this and set my computer to boot from my original drive.

Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any tips of a similar experience with this situation?

I hard something about needing to install a Samsung driver to use the SSD's, but that wouldn't help me as I am not able to boot into windows.

I can see my new SSD in my Bios, so I assume it is compatible with my motherboard. Please help!!

Oct 6, 2018
Nevermind, strangely enough. I unplugged my ssd, booted windows like normal. Put it into sleep mode, unplugged my pc. Booted it back up and everything was good to go.