MSI z97 gaming 5 or asus ranger

Eastwind1127

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Unable to decide between these 2 boards to pair with the i7 4970K..

Both are really goodboards with their own shortcomings and features.. From what i know:

1) MSI gaming 5 has the killer ethernet port which i find it to be some gimmick. I search online to find more issues such as connection drops, driver glitches than the intel variant.

2) i went to MSI forums and find some bsod/boot loop issues on this board. But i reckon is just bad boards out there. Common these days.

Now to the asus ranger

1) superb build quailty and finish. And the UEFI BIOS looks more polished than other manufacturers. (Correct me if i am wrong)

2) Went to ROG forums and found a widespread issue in the hero/ranger model regarding sound popping with every playback. Can be solved by deleting the drivers but that means i can't enjoy the sound features they claim to provide!

In my area, the cpu and ranger board cost around $25 more compared to bundling with the msi gaming 5.

Which one should I go for? Anyone Care to share their experiences from these 2 boards?

Eastwind1127

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
I know nothing much about gigabyte boards.. Are they good?

If i were to RMA a board, which of these 3 companies will take the longest? Features wise, they all have similar features.. I am confused..