[SOLVED] msi z97 gaming 5

Jan 27, 2019
Hi All

Have some strange behavior on my PC and im getting clueless now.
Specs:
1. Intel Core i5-4690K, 3.5GHz, 6MB
2. Sapphire R9 390 NITRO, 8GB GDDR5, 512 Bit, HDMI, DVI, 3xDP,
3. Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO
4. MSI Z97 GAMING 5, Intel Z97, 4xDDR3, 1xM2, VGA, GbLAN, ATX (Z97 GAMING 5)
5. Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
6. Intel 535 240GB SATA3
7. Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3

Used to run on win 7 for almost 3 years, had a random BSOD, i was like, ok, time to upgrade to win 10.
Did the upgrade, however it didnt fix my issue just got more weird.
After installing win 10, the SSD based OS started to work fine for 8 hours, then crashed. Rebooted, everything seemed normal, then few hour later crash again. Rebooted again, crashed again but faster and faster, until it reached a point it crashed like in 10 mins after reboot.

Opened up the housing, cleared the dust, unplugged the power cablings, swapped the memory modules. Still same.
Unplugged SSD, split my HDD and used it for OS partition. System works, fine, seems stable.
After 2 days random errors happen.
Got BSOD with error 0xc00000e required device isnt connected or cant be accessed.
Pressing F9 for 3-4 times, and system returns to normal after boot.
Usually this BSOD happens when i leave the PC on for running over longer time and being afk. Seems like once it reaches hibernation status it goes haywire.

Today it started to have problem with booting as well. Win 10 install repair couldnt do anything. However im making this topic on the "faulty" PC.

Also, not always, i would say 20-30% of the time i get errors:
- USB devices not detected (have basic keyboard, G502 mouse, and creative HD live cam)
Randomly re-plugging them at back panel fixes it.
- At boot screen i get 9C (stays on screen up to 20s) and A2 errors (few sec) (9C indicates usb issue, a2 IDE detect)

Right now the only thing i can think of is to replace CMOS battery and update the BIOS.
Other than these, i guess something went nuts with the motherboard (bit less than 3 years old)
Any thoughts?

p.s. no overclocking was done ever

Solution
Ok, so I think i found the issue.
It's the gorram graphic card, to be more punctual the fan system.
Because of the crappy fan settings, the video card is just heating like hell and the fans are not reacting properly.
Found this out when i plugged in another memory module that the vid card has insanely hot when i accidentally touched it.
Installed MSI Afterburner, set my fan control to a lot higher and manual setting, PC is running 3 days without any issues even under heavy loads, the GPU temp never reach 55C.
Try first memtest http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1906201/test-memory-memtest.html
I would suspect in long run that memory could go kinda bad, but try to keep components connected to the motherboard at minimum.

By that error 0xc00000e that can cause only if the drive with windows stuff on it isnt connected, i guess you have windows installed on one disk and on another boot drive files.
Have you tried another sata ports?

Also if the BLCK varies a LOT that can cause corruption, try to fix it at 100.00 in bios.

Jan 27, 2019

Did run some memtest, nothing was found (tho not this memtest).
Also checked the event logs, nothing shown up there, except, windows was stopped incorrectly.
Run prime95 as well for 3+ hours, CPU temp was 55C max, no errors.

SSD and HDD was running parallel on win 7, SSD was the OS, HDD for storage.
I've split the hdd to 800-200 MB and unplugged the ssd power supply.
The 200 Mb is used as the OS drive, but havent changed the sata port connection on motherboard for any of the drives.

When was on win 7 i got stop 0x00000f4 error.

Also a few times after the crashes the BIOS was auto reset at start.

Jan 27, 2019
Found some interesting twist.
Just tried out Subnautica below zero
Since its early access, no optimization.
Could play it for a good half hour, then system crashed.
The CPU cooler was hot as hell, i believe it reached 70C
Rebooted PC bit later, started new game, CPU temp was 40ish at start, when game finished loading in properly already hit 65 mark and coolers were going on max RPM.
Meanwhile idle temp is 40ish, 55 when i was downloading at high bandwith.
I will try to buy thermal paste and see if that changes anything.

Jan 27, 2019
Ok, so I think i found the issue.
It's the gorram graphic card, to be more punctual the fan system.
Because of the crappy fan settings, the video card is just heating like hell and the fans are not reacting properly.
Found this out when i plugged in another memory module that the vid card has insanely hot when i accidentally touched it.
Installed MSI Afterburner, set my fan control to a lot higher and manual setting, PC is running 3 days without any issues even under heavy loads, the GPU temp never reach 55C.

Solution