MSI Z97-GD65 or ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Motherboard?

Pistondriven

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I recently moved my PC from an HAF mid to a Full tower. My kids won't leave me alone always wanting to play on it and I was thinking I'll just build them a gaming pc in the mid shell I have, let them have my middle monitor and replace it with a 4k monitor.

I have the MSI Z87-GD65 motherboard with a 4770k in my build and running 2 way sli Zotac 780 amps (not sure whether that is relevant here) and there is an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition with controller on craigslist locally for $125. That's a great deal! Now I was initially thinking of upgrading to a Z97 motherboard and using this MSI one for the kids build but ran into that Extreme Edition on CL.

Here's my question (finally).
Would you upgrade to a Z97 or take the great deal on the ASUS board (which is an x79) and leave your PC alone? Or would you use the ASUS board and hand down the Z87. (Processor price is not an issue).

One thing on my mind is my build has a 1150 socket and the ASUS has the 2011. So I wouldn't be able to really use the kids as a test bench for a few things. Other things are the Asus board has 10 SATA slots instead of 8 but only has 2 USBs on the board, both the MSI boards (Z87 and Z97) have only 8 SATA slots but 3 USB connections on the board. The USB is more important than the SATA slots. I'd really like 10 SATAs, 3 USBs and a 1150 socket. Cant find that config anywhere......yet.
OH THE HUMANITY!
Thanks

Pistondriven

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

I have priced them and I'm not too worried about that. I'd probably go 4930k and maybe just build a beast out of this thing for fun. My poor power bill.
At the same time I could sell the Rampage and that would pay for a new z97 motherboard.
I've got a lot of homework to do but I am headed to buy the MOBO. Either way I can sell it if I go another direction.
It seems that that ASUS board still has way more features than most the new Z97 boards............
I'm no tech guru though so as I'm researching I am curious what the community thinks.

Pistondriven

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Wow, I'm digging that setup!
The ASUS just sold for 200. So now its decision time. This is going to be a long day haha!
Thanks!

Edited to add:
After some research I am going with the MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition LGA 2011-v3
It has everything I am looking for and Newegg has brand new ones for the price everyone wants for used on eBay. Plus right now Newegg is throwing in a Free Steel Series Mouse with purchase. On top of that a $20 mail in rebate.
I am going to start from scratch and build a beast, then once built I'll let the kids use this one.....maybe haha! This is going to get expensive. Thinking 3 way 980ti's EEK!
Fun times

You're welcome!

I was going to write about the additional advantages of the X99 MOBOs, like USB 3.1, M.2 SATA, etc. but I had to go to an appointment. The MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition is a very good board and I'm sure that you'll have a lot of fun building your new system.

Good luck!

Yogi