MSI Z97 Mobo Random Resets and Debug Codes 10, 23, 26, 67

Biwwie

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

Saw people with similar problems but my scenario is slightly different.

Scenario: New build has been working for 2 months, last night pushed power to turn on PC and it resets every 3 seconds. As of now, only power supply, mobo, cpu w/ stock fan, and Ram is plugged in. Note: My PC tower sits on table 20 inches off the ground and very good air flow so no visible dust in case.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Ram: Patriot Viper 2x4GB 1866MHz
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
Power Bar: Some Belkin Surge Protector

What I've tried-
1) If I unplug both ram, mobo idles with debug code 03
2) If I use only one ram stick (tried both) in every slot, PC resets after 3-5 seconds with debug code 10 last shown
3) Sometimes with only one ram stick PC won't reset and displays debug code pattern 10 -> 26 -> 67 and hangs, I've seen a random 23 as well.
4) Reseat CPU and Stock Fan, all pins on board are present and look in mint condition. And all system and cpu fans have been working all this time
5) Took Mobo battery out over night, same problem persists

- At all times can't get any signal to monitaor from mobo in any output source

I am narrowing it down to (in likely order)
1) Faulty Mobo (I can't get a video signal from Mobo, and random resets at different debug codes)
2) Faulty Ram (How unlikely it is for both RAM sticks to die at the same time)
3) Faulty Power supply (Maybe not supplying enough juice or shorting the system somehow)
4) Faulty CPU (Quite positive it isn't the CPU since it has been working fine for 2 months).

Next step plans-
1) Having my friend test my Ram on his build
2) Having my friend test my CPU on his build
3) Having my friend test my pSupply on his build
If all 3 steps work out on his build, then mobo broken :(

What do you guys think?

Update: 4:31pm PT
- After reseat the CPU again and moving the RAM around some more. The computer no longer resets. Debug now idles at 36.

From the manual, Debug Code Led Table (1-35) http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-7.html#support_download
03 Power on North Bridge Initialization
67 Late CPU Initialization
36 Early CPU Initialization
All are related to the MB or CPU.
1) Check the BIOS version by the S/N. How to: http://us.msi.com/page/warranty#w-mb
The i7 4790K need v1.3 version (I guess because the fold name is 7916v13.zip) at least, it was released on 5/23/14, if the MB manufacturer date is after that, the BIOS is OK.
2) You said the pins are OK.
3) Also try the Bench it - Troubleshooting http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html
If the PC does show the same error code 36. That means the cpu may have problem, so if you have other compatible cpu to try on, that will be easy like you said ask your friend, you can test the RAM and PSU too. Otherwise contact intel.

Biwwie

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

Following up.
The system was working for about 2 months, I didn't check the BIOs version but I think its safe to assume if it was the issue I would of ran into that on the day of putting it together. I did have the software that came with the board installed and it stated all my drivers were up to date and I would install all updates if there were any (I believe it does check for BIOs drivers too).

Now I tried it out on my friends motherboard, all my parts worked fine on his motherboard which is a Gigabyte Z97 Black Edition. So that pretty much sums up its an issue with my MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mobo. I also tried the bench it as you suggested, only PowerSupply, Mobo, Ram, CPU, outside the box, exact same issue.

I just filled out an MSI RMA form and will be shipping it out tomorrow. I'll update with what MSI says and after this whole ordeal is over so that it can help whoever else has this same issue in the future.

Biwwie

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

Yes I did resolve the issue. Unfortunately, the bad news is the mobo was defective. I sent it in and they replaced it for me. Sorry to break the bad news.