Question MSI Z97 Mpower Max motherboard not powering on after video card replacement

EepSquared

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I replaced an MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card with an MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 but now the MSI Z97 Mpower Max AC motherboard won't power on and its power and discharge buttons are flashing dimly/lightly. I tried removing the video card but same problem. Didn't touch anything else and made sure any static electricity was discharged before touching anything. Bad power supply? I have an Antec Truepower Trio TP3-550 (Watt). Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

EepSquared

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

How old is your PSU? You might want to see if a donor PSU with at least 450W of power by a reliably built PSU changes your experience.

I updated my signature with my current specs. The PSU is at least 5--probably closer to 8-10--years old. In the past couple months my system hasn't been able to boot from sleep/standby mode: the computer would power on 3 times before finally staying on then resuming from hiberation (had dual-mode standby/hibernate on in Windows 7). I don't know why the PSU would decide to stop working now when I replaced the video card but I don't have another ATX-compatible PSU with 4-, 6- AND 8-pin power connectors to try. However, I did try the GTX 1650 in another computer and it works fine so at least I know it's not that video card that caused my PSU/motherboard problem in my other system! Sheesh. Computers...

Update: I've ordered a new PSU that should arrive by next Friday. MSI support says to clear the CMOS but I don't see how that would apply to a non-POSTing motherboard. MSI also says to try other components (CPU, RAM, PSU, etc) but I don't have anything compatible except RAM but, aside from another PSU, I doubt other components would have any effect here.

Last edited:

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
You don't mention the age of the Z97. I'm no pro but I dropped in here cuz I have my own asus Z97 fails, 2 of them, I have posted about. Both fail to wake from sleep. It will be simpler if you find that new psu fixes all. But imo it may be age of mobo. Even if you buy a refurbished as I did, it is basically old. At this point I would not even buy a supposed new Z97. Where do the components come from? Maybe you'll luck out, but be prepared for the alternative.

EepSquared

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
You don't mention the age of the Z97. I'm no pro but I dropped in here cuz I have my own asus Z97 fails, 2 of them, I have posted about. Both fail to wake from sleep. It will be simpler if you find that new psu fixes all. But imo it may be age of mobo. Even if you buy a refurbished as I did, it is basically old. At this point I would not even buy a supposed new Z97. Where do the components come from? Maybe you'll luck out, but be prepared for the alternative.
I bought the MSI Z97 new in 2015. I also bought the PSU new in 2007 so I'm guessing it to be culprit since it has an MTBF of 100,000 hours which is around 11 years and it's been 13. Granted, I haven't had my PSU on continuously for 13 years but for about half that time I left my computer on pretty much all the time so that, combined with the ons/offs, and the intro of a new GPU (that should have been using the same or even less power than my 8-generations-old GPU), was possibly enough to knock out the PSU...

Last edited:
This would be the cheapest one I would consider:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $74.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-10 08:23 EDT-0400

Or a better quality unit:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($95.87 @ Amazon)
Total: $95.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-10 08:27 EDT-0400

EepSquared

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I got the PSU yesterday and my system booted right up after installation. However, I cannot plug in the 4-pin ATX 12V power connector because the PSU does not have a 4-pin connector. My motherboard has 1 each of 24-, 8-, 4-, and 6-pin connectors. I have all but the 4-pin connected but my system seems to have enough power and hasn't crashed or anything yet. The Thermaltake Smart 600W PSU has these connectors:
pic3_600.jpg

The 6+2-pin PCI-E connector won't fit in the motherboard's 8-pin connector--the plastic shapes (square and beveled bottom corners) don't match. The PSU manual says:
4-1. For motherboard that only requires a 4pin ATX 12V (CPU) connector, please detach a 4pin connector from the 4+4pin ATX 12V connector and connect it to the motherboard. (Either one of the 4pin from the 4+4pin ATX 12V connector will work)
4-2. For motherboard that requires a single 8pin EPS connector, please use the 4+4pin connector from the power supply.
6. If your graphic card requires PCI-E power connector, please connect corresponding PCI-E connector instructed by your graphic card’s user manual.
Please note the power supply utilizes an unique 6+2pin PCI-E connector that can be effectively used as a single 8pin or 6pin PCI-E connector. To use it as a 6pin PCI-E connector, please detach the 2pin connector from the 6+2pin connector.
Sure, I can detach the 4+4 (8)-pin connector to plug into the 4-pin motherboard connector but then I don't have any connector for the 8-pin motherboard connector. Is it OK to not have the 4-pin motherboard connector plugged in? My system seems OK without it.