msi z97 mpower max vs msi z97 gaming 7?

Solution
ROG boards do have some cool features, but when you get to that level of motherboard they are all very good, and differences in gaming performance are extremely minor and not only due to the motherboard. Getting lucky with a good overclocking CPU and GPU and keeping all of it cool is a big factor too. That being said, these will only give you very minor performance increases. At most you might get 5 fps more out of a high end board over an entry level board after overclocking. The differences are in quality and extra features. High end boards are less likely to break, last longer, have better voltage and safety controls and tend to stay cooler due to better components. I just buy the board that has the features I want and fits the...

byza

Honorable
ROG boards do have some cool features, but when you get to that level of motherboard they are all very good, and differences in gaming performance are extremely minor and not only due to the motherboard. Getting lucky with a good overclocking CPU and GPU and keeping all of it cool is a big factor too. That being said, these will only give you very minor performance increases. At most you might get 5 fps more out of a high end board over an entry level board after overclocking. The differences are in quality and extra features. High end boards are less likely to break, last longer, have better voltage and safety controls and tend to stay cooler due to better components. I just buy the board that has the features I want and fits the colour scheme I want. If I was a hardcore overclocker it might be different, but the average user won't notice a difference.

Solution

xreap

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Sorry if I'm being a bit picky ;) going to be stuck with whatever I'm going to buy for around 5 years so i want to check all my options. How about Asus Z97 Pro? It's a bit cheaper than the Hero but i don't know if its any good. I plan to OC in the future using a closed loop ;)

xreap

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Thanks byza, i already read that article, but it slipped my mind. Thanks i'll reread it again.

update: And I'm done reading it again, now I'm even more conflicted, hehe Asrock Extreme 6 was added to the mix, although only the asrock Extreme 4 was the only board available where I'm at.

byza

Honorable
This is my personal opinion, but if someone asks for a board under $150, my first thoughts are the Extreme4 then the Asus Z97-A, but I lean towards the Asrock as it is cheaper. If someone wants a board under $200 my first though is the Hero. There are lots of other good boards but these three tend to be very popular and none of them seem to have any problems, but i've probably also developed a habit towards them so I don't really think of other boards.

What is the rest of your build?

xreap

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I'm probably going with

Mobo: Clueless At the moment
Cpu: 4790k
Psu: seasonic s12ii bronze 620
Ram: ripjaws 1600 (12800cl9d) 2 X 4
Hdd: 500gb wd caviar blue

ill be adding a closed loop cooler Probably a corsair H100i, a video card and a ssd by December ;)
what do you think?

byza

Honorable
Looking like a nice build. Install your OS on a partition and keep all your storage and programs in a different partition. That way you can easily transfer it to the SSD or do a fresh install if it gets corrupted. Also, why not get 1TB, it's usually only a few dollars more.

What are you thinking of for the GPU? I just ask because you'd be surprised how many people get an awesome CPU and mobo and the skimp on the GPU for some reason. For example, I would prefer an Extreme4 and a 290 than a Hero and 280x as you will get better performance.

xreap

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
;) actually a friend of mine suggested that since i won't be gaming much, gtx 750 ;)
i was eying a msi gtx 750 ti (is that a bad move?)

Im actually going to use this rig for light video editing (about 10 minutes of video with an overlay of another video). So i basically need the system in about a week (plus I'm already excited). Now Im gearing to the extreme 4

byza

Honorable
If you plan on gaming on it too, I would go for an even lower end board like an Extreme3, a good budget cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and then aim for a much better GPU. If it's mostly going to be used for editing, I'd move to an AMD 8350 or similar. The i5 is a much better gaming CPU, but editing takes advantage of the extra cores on AMD chips.

xreap

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I would rarely game on it, probably just on weekends. I'll be using it for developing in sql, android studio, and visual studio. I wanted a multi-monitor system but that would probably be in the future since i wont get the dedicated video card for a few months(already have the monitors thou).

Cpu: i7 4790k on stock cooler
Ram: ripjaws 1600 (12800cl9d) 2 X 4
Mobo: Asrock z97 extreme 4
Psu: seasonic s12ii bronze 520
Hdd: 500gb wd caviar blue (from old pc)
Case: Thermaltake V4 Black (from old pc)

Then my upgrade path after a few months will be to add this

Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 120m/Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer
Ssd: Samsung Evo 840 evo 120gb
GPU: ASUS GTX750TI 2GB DDR5 128BIT (GTX750TI-OC-2GD5) video card

I wanted to buy the whole set including the upgrade add-ons but im running low on funds. I just need to edit a 10 minute clip by the end of next month, my old pc died on me at the worst moment. Btw, i don't expect any editing for another 6 months after that ;) I'm eyeing i7, and would like to overclock it a bit for everyday use, just enough to justify buying an unlocked processor.

Hope i wont have any issues with any of my parts ;)

byza

Honorable
Yeah I noticed today that the H100i has gone awol. Honestly, i'd just look at a few reviews of each and make a decision based on that, but both will give fairly similar performance. I went for big air (NH-D14) over AIO's, but I love my chunky heat sink, it's a beast :)