MSI Z97 PC Mate overclocking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzerB314

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
I have a MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard and an i5 4670K processor. I am very new to over clocking and this is my first build. I watched numerous videos on how to overclock in different BIOS but I can't seem to find any for my specific BIOS which is MSI Click BIOS 4. I tried to go into BIOS and overclock to 3.9 GHz but I couldn't figure it out I switched between simple and advanced mode but all of the different options confused me and I decided just to go back to normal and run a 24 hr stress test because I got my new 212 Evo heatsink.
Well I start running my prime 95 test and notice that realtemp says I'm running at 4.0 GHz. Which was great, but I don't know how that happened because I didn't change any numbers in the BIOS.

So I ran the test and my second core temp maxed at 86C during the first hour and I reset the max and then during the next 7 hours maxes at 83C. While the fourth core maxed at 74C during both recordings. I averaged around 77C for all four temps though for those 8 hours.

My question is what am I supposed to change to run at different MHz? Say 3.9 or 4.2. Also what/why/how to change voltage?

If I understand correctly this is a newer motherboard and I can't find any real explanations on how to use the BIOS.
RvtyNFt.jpg

Solution
Not 4Mhz, it's 4000Mhz, or more appropriately, 4Ghz. Most likely it's running up at that speed because Turbo boost is enabled which allows the cpu multiplier and voltage to be automatically adjusted by the system when it's under load and demand is high. Your temps during Prime are too high, you should not be over the low 70's on core or package temps.

I'd stop stress testing until you get a better CPU cooler and learn more about overclocking, if you're still interested, and just allow the Turbo boost to do it's thing for now. Obviously you either didn't apply the thermal paste correctly ( A rice sized dab in the center of the CPU is plenty), don't have the correct pressure on the cooler base or have an ambient temperature that is too...
Not 4Mhz, it's 4000Mhz, or more appropriately, 4Ghz. Most likely it's running up at that speed because Turbo boost is enabled which allows the cpu multiplier and voltage to be automatically adjusted by the system when it's under load and demand is high. Your temps during Prime are too high, you should not be over the low 70's on core or package temps.

I'd stop stress testing until you get a better CPU cooler and learn more about overclocking, if you're still interested, and just allow the Turbo boost to do it's thing for now. Obviously you either didn't apply the thermal paste correctly ( A rice sized dab in the center of the CPU is plenty), don't have the correct pressure on the cooler base or have an ambient temperature that is too high to allow the cooler to adequately resolve the thermal stress.

Just in case you overlooked this, in the center of the Hyper 212 EVO is a thumb screw which adjusts the level of tension applied between the heatsink and cpu lid. Best policy is to loosen the four outer hold down screws about two or three turns, tighten the center screw clockwise until you're sure it's as far as it will go ( It won't ever fully "tighten" but it will achieve a higher tension on the spring that is there between the arms.) and then retighten the four outer screws to the specs provided with the cooler which in most cases is just until you begin to see the already tightened base nuts begin to turn.

Make sure the nuts holding the backplate are tight before you begin tightening the four outer screws as they will likely become loose when you loosen the four outer screws to secure the center screw.

You might also consider a premium cooler if you do decide to continue with any permanent overclock beyond 4Ghz as the 212 is a budget cooler and isn't the best option out there. It's cheap quick insurance as a temporary overclocking solution or a good replacement for the stock cooler that will extend the life of the CPU in most cases when kept at stock configurations.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.