MSI Z97S Krait Edition Motherboard - "A2" Code shows on post before the computer boots?

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I just purchased this board for a new build. I was in the Bios changing the boot order since there were about 9 unused options. After I did this the computer would not post to Bios and would hang on "A2". I unplugged my SSD and HDD, fiddled with the Bios for about an hour and was able to get it all sorted out (after a lot of headaches). The computer boots into Windows with no issues at all now. My question is when the computer is initially turned on, I'm seeing "A2" in the bottom right corner of a black screen for a couple seconds right before the motherboard splash screen. Is this a standard code that will always display on post boot? I only ask because I can't remember it being there before I started messing around in the Bios (although it may have always been there, I'm just being paranoid). I just want to make sure this isn't something that needs to be fixed or tended to. I don't want the computer to crash one day because of it. Your advice and insight is very much appreciated.

MagnyCours

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
It shouldn't be something you need to worry about anymore! The A2 error code just means the motherboard is having trouble detecting connected drives, the error usually occurs when more than one drives are installed during first boot when no OS is installed (happened to me too.)

Hope this helps.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Did you continue to see it ("A2") on every boot? It's not getting hung up on it anymore, but it is always the first thing that shows when the computer is booted, followed by mobo splash screen then windows.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Glad to see an MSI rep saying its ok. Thank you for showing me that. I just wish I new how to stop it from showing. My gut tells me that it wasn't there when I first installed Windows 8. I'm just nervous that one day its not going to boot (which would suck considering i'm building it for someone as a gift). If it was my PC I would be ok with it.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
When the keyboard is unplugged there are no codes displayed. It goes through the post and right into Windows. This is very confusing. Also would like to add that if I plug the keyboard into a different USB slot, the system will hang at post on "A2". Once I unplug it, it goes through the boot normally. I tried a different keyboard and it does the same thing. So it's not the specific keyboard I'm using. It has to be a setting somewhere in Bios I would assume.

Lisander

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
A similar situation. V85I Gaming. POST 9C - 1 sec POST A2 - 1 sec, after which appears LOGO MSI. System of Georgia, but I want to know whether it is not an aberration.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

I'm pretty positive now that this is a standard post that will show on boot if using a standard boot setup. If you use the MSI fast boot features I don't think these codes will appear (I could be wrong). However, if you plug in other USB devices (ex. USB Sticks, external hd, etc.), you will see an assortment of codes other than just "A2" pop up before mobo splash screen. These are all just posts acknowledging that the devices are plugged in and operating normal. It is when a code hangs for a while that there might be an issue. I've come to this conclusion after a lot of research and tests, hope this helps.

Foogle

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Hey sorry for bringing up this thread, but I've just recently finished building my PC and also encountered the same exact problem. Sometimes my system gets stuck with the A2 code and I have to restart it until I don't encounter it. I also tried unplugging the keyboard and the A2 code disappears and continues into the motherboard splash screen.

Have you completely fixed yours yet? How do you make it so that it doesn't get stuck on A2 anymore? I have the Z97 Krait motherboard too.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Mine does not get stuck on A2 anymore, it just displays A2 for a second or two at startup. When it was getting stuck at A2, I would unplug a USB peripheral and it would work. To my knowledge, the A2 code displays when it detects a new USB device. If it gets stuck at A2, it means the USB device is having issues. My problems were solved when I switched my keyboard to a different USB slot. When plugging in other USB devices such as an external HD, I would notice different codes display. The A2 code is normal, unless it hangs, then there's an issue with something (usually a peripheral). Check you mouse, keyboard, etc. and try different ports.

Foogle

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

I fixed mine as well. The A2 code no longer shows. All I did was update the BIOS of the motherboard. I think the problems was with the Krait not detecting my 850 Evo properly.

TRENDING THREADS