[SOLVED] MSIGS63VR 6RF Slow Secondary Firecuda 1tb HDD

Mar 25, 2020
I'm really hoping for a definitive answer/solution here. I've had this laptop for close to 2 years now and since day 1 it has suffered from a low power HDD state that I have been unable to change. During some games it can be heard spinning up and causes lag. I've tried everything to no avail, even replaced the HDD that came with it. Still happens. I've set the HDD power off setting to 0 on battery and to Never when plugged in, I've used CrystalDiskInfo to change the APM mode, a method of which Seagate did not highly support, I've changed my Power Plan to Ultimate Performance and I've even went through with the odd suggestion of deleting/uninstalling the HDD through the device manager as it seemed to have the most success on the MSI and Reddit forums, which did seem to work. My HDD Read/Write speed went from about 74mb/s to almost 100mb/s. All S.M.A.R.T tests also passed. What's going on? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Those drives spin down despite the OS setting afaik.
Best option is to replace with an SSD but if you cannot afford the expense then look into Keepalivehd which will write to your drive at a settable interval and keep it awake. You can also set an inactivity time so that it will stop writing to it and let it go to sleep.

popatim

Titan
Those drives spin down despite the OS setting afaik.
Best option is to replace with an SSD but if you cannot afford the expense then look into Keepalivehd which will write to your drive at a settable interval and keep it awake. You can also set an inactivity time so that it will stop writing to it and let it go to sleep.

Solution