MSI's New Gaming Notebook Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

romioforjulietta

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
i utterly don't understand what kind of gamer would by this piece of trash for 1400$ MADNESS.
i would've called this a "GAMING NOTEBOOK" if it had 4870 mobility rather than this crappy 9800m which as the article says is alot slower than the 9600GT that i don't even consider a low end GPU and better cpu.

for 1400$ i can build a CORE i7 monster gaming machine with GUGABYTE x58BOARD and 4870x2.

romioforjulietta

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]computerninja7823[/nom]the 4870x2 sucks and yes i am a fan boy thank you very much.[/citation]

4870x2 is faster than the so called sandwich GTX295.
Add to that, the 4870x2 doesn't stutter like the GTX295 horribly does.

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]romioforjulietta[/nom]i utterly don't understand what kind of gamer would by this piece of trash for 1400$ MADNESS.i would've called this a "GAMING NOTEBOOK" if it had 4870 mobility rather than this crappy 9800m which as the article says is alot slower than the 9600GT that i don't even consider a low end GPU and better cpu.for 1400$ i can build a CORE i7 monster gaming machine with GUGABYTE x58BOARD and 4870x2.[/citation]
The thing is- this apparently weights 5.8 pounds, fits in a lap, and can be carried anywhere you want (think reasonably, obviously you can't use it in space, etc). So you can play your games in, lets say a park or while traveling without looking like an idiot with your monster sized PC.
Now, I have no clue where to find a "GUGABYTE x58BOARD" (do you mean the models offered from Gigabyte?), but it will be atx form factor, which is nearly the size of the laptop itself.
No where in this piece of news does it say that the 9800m is slower than the 9600 GT

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yeah, i also thought for the money and the fact this is a notebook it's not bad. MSI has some good offerings, I bought another MSI recently, AMD based and have had great experience with it.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I love when people post comments that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

This actually isnt too bad of a deal. I hopped on amazon and they have a 17" version available for pre-order that has an ATI 4850 mobility, with otherwise similar specs, for $1500 and some change. Unfortunately i have no idea how that compares to a normal desktop card.

geckoar

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Ok Ok so how does having a blu-ray Drive in it do any good... The res is 1680x1050 And for Blu-ray you need a 1920x1080 res. So because the res is not 1080P the image will revert to a 480p res. Because the 1080p HD image cant fit on a 1050p res. Sorry just my two cents.

I bought an Alienware Laptop a few years back that was great. An Area51m it had an ATI X1800 GPU and a 1.8 Intel C2D 2 gb RAM and 300Gb HDD I paid 1800 for it and Got I really good Gaming laptop for about 2 years. But the games got harder and harder to run So I moved back to a Desktop build. Having a laptop is nice but I would like to have a better desktop with Beefier Specs. And lose the carry around part anyday. Thats why I got a G1 Smart phone...For Web on the go...Which is really all people use their laptop for because really how many people can play games with Intel IGP(not counting WOW)

I do liek the way that the Notebook looks Nice Red and Black

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Just because your screen isn't 1080P doesnt mean you can't enjoy a BD-movie. Main reason would however be that you can plug it into any plasma/lcd out there using a HDMI.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]romioforjulietta[/nom]4870x2 is faster than the so called sandwich GTX295.Add to that, the 4870x2 doesn't stutter like the GTX295 horribly does.[/citation]
um yes the 295 stutters....but its cause of a low memory buffer. honestly it depends on what res, and setting you play at.

2GooDrumr

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
This doesn't look like a bad laptop at all, all for 1400. yes, a desktop of equivalent price would be superior, but this is reasonable for a laptop (compare to a Macbook pro or XPS...) and to the ATI/AMD fanboys, no the GTX295 is faster than 4870x2 in several instances, it depends on the games, as others have said :p (I love AMD's cpu's, but Nvidia for life)

romioforjulietta

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]anonymous x[/nom]The thing is- this apparently weights 5.8 pounds, fits in a lap, and can be carried anywhere you want (think reasonably, obviously you can't use it in space, etc). So you can play your games in, lets say a park or while traveling without looking like an idiot with your monster sized PC.Now, I have no clue where to find a "GUGABYTE x58BOARD" (do you mean the models offered from Gigabyte?), but it will be atx form factor, which is nearly the size of the laptop itself.No where in this piece of news does it say that the 9800m is slower than the 9600 GT[/citation]

W0W obviously your'e not a gamer seriously you wanna go to park sit there while people walking,running,kissing or whaever wearing your headphones and play COD4 or lets say FEAR2 and not look like an idiot.

rta

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
The more gaming rigs that come out the happier I am and the better the market is for it. I for one game on my Gateway 6860FX and love it. One, because I CAN go anywhere to play and two, because I can lay in my bed and surf facebook when I'm not gaming. You know what? to each his own. If folks wanna game on a lappy SO WHAT? Don't buy one. I've been on the road for 6 months and was determined to game and had no choice other than to go mobile.

Hook up my Antec mobile cooler, Razer Arctosa and Deathadder, slap in my Sennnheiser's and I'm ready. T9300, 4GB RAM, 320GB Scorpio, 8800M GTS 512MB, VIsta 64, and running Fallout 3, World at War, blah blah MAXED with AA. So suck it.

Bring on the MSI, they've always made good mobos.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
First of all, this laptop was announced in OCTOBER. Second, it's been on Amazon since early January (January 7th to be specific). Third, you failed to mention the MSI GT627-216US, listed at $1,149.99. Finally, if you're going to talk about MSI laptops, the most interesting new gaming laptop they're releasing is the GT725, which will be among the first laptops with an ATI 4850.

This is old, incomplete news, cut and pasted by a fucking amateur.

For those interested in a new gaming laptop, don't get all excited just yet. MSI SUCKS when it comes to releasing their products on time, especially internationally to places like Australia. People who have asked Amazon have received varied responses on release dates, but most realistic was a report of a Feb 26th release... but, nobody knows for sure right now.

Frankly, MSI's taking for fucking ever on something that's just an upgrade of the MS-1651. From what I can tell, they just flashed the BIOS and swapped out the GPUs.

Thanks for giving us any useful, technical information, though, Toms. Like, any differences between the 55nm G94 based 9800m GS 1GB in the GT627, and the 9800m GS used in the Asus G50s. Is MSI running the 9800m GS at the same clockspeed that Asus did (530MHz)? Who knows. *sarcasm* Good thing for you guys tho, I'm sooo happy that you brought up an article posted October 28th on other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.