News MSI's Tiger Lake Motherboard Would Be So Much Cooler If It Had a PCIe Slot

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
The lack of an internal 19V header is unfortunate (means any existing 19V ITX setups with internal supplies like the those from HDPLEX will need to desolder the read panel header and splice in, or use a pigtail sticking out the back), but the m.2 slot exposes a PCIe 4.0 x4 link, so more than enough for any GPU attached to a CPU of relatively low performance.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
There is no reason for this board to have a dedicated PCIe slot for GPUs, because the CPU itself is a mobile part and power is delivered by a brick external PSU. How and why put a 300W GPU on such a board? (edit) And why not get another Mini-ITX board with a socket for a desktop CPU, that is more powerful, already has a PCIe slot and can use internal PSUs?

However, the lack of M.2 slot for storage is definitely a bad point. Not only they are a lot faster, but they save space compared to SATA devices. Put another M.2 slot somewhere else for the wireless modules, or bundle them with the board already.

But the cherry on top would be if it were a Ryzen CPU, with its much stronger GPU. Then you have a power-sipping light gaming machine ;)

Last edited:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Not bad. Though the foot print I feel is rather big. Lack of pcie is not that big of a problem since the m.2 has pcie 4x slots.

Many pole (including myself) take apart the the Intel NUC and use it as pc. Although we are stuck with data SSD due to using m.2 for GPU. With alderlake NUC coming, it going to be great.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
OMG. Someone needs to tell the author about thin mini-ITX! Note how even the I/O panel isn't very tall.

The only reason you buy a thin mini-ITX board is to put it in a case that almost certainly wouldn't accommodate even a half-height PCIe card anyway. Otherwise, you'd just buy a regular mini-ITX board.

I've seen some pretty neat thin mini-ITX cases, over the years. Here are two examples:

Last edited:
Reactions: salgado18

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
"Look! A new computer! That'd satisfy the computing needs of 65% of people while sipping power. Pfft. You can't game on it, or it'd be good."

Less than 35% of people game, and the vast majority of those are well enough served with modern integrated graphics, at least on the AMD end and Intel's mobile parts, which this represents. Citing once again the old stat from Steam that most folks are using a 1060 or equivalent.

This is basically a better "mini pc" design for intel, which has existed and sold well on the AMD side. I'm using a ryzen 5800H system built on basically the same sort of motherboard. No PCIE slot.

What I need is a laptop without a keyboard/screen, for the most part.

Plus if it has a thunderbolt 4 port (if it doesn't, the next one will) you can use an eGPU with it, either an off the shelf one or by "rolling your own". Just saw a 3080 eGPU for $799 and those will hit $500 before long. Or use an external gpu build with an nvme to pcie bridge cable.

Reactions: bit_user
Feb 27, 2022
These boards are used almost exclusively for all-in-one desktop solutions, that's why it only has an external 19v power connector, why it doesn't show the heatsink compatibility, why it doesn't have PCIe slots, etc.

Aug 22, 2022
There is no reason for this board to have a dedicated PCIe slot for GPUs, because the CPU itself is a mobile part and power is delivered by a brick external PSU. How and why put a 300W GPU on such a board? (edit) And why not get another Mini-ITX board with a socket for a desktop CPU, that is more powerful, already has a PCIe slot and can use internal PSUs?

However, the lack of M.2 slot for storage is definitely a bad point. Not only they are a lot faster, but they save space compared to SATA devices. Put another M.2 slot somewhere else for the wireless modules, or bundle them with the board already.

But the cherry on top would be if it were a Ryzen CPU, with its much stronger GPU. Then you have a power-sipping light gaming machine ;)

It looks like there is a second M.2 slot below the chipset heatsink and next to the RTC battery's white connector
The SSD's controleur will sit on top of the heatsink