msn messeger 6.2 and SP2 video/audio streams ...

Coaster

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004

i am experiencing a jerky video and audio problems with MSN Messenger 6.2
and WinXP Pro SP2 ... the video and audio periodically freeze for a brief
moment and then rush forward with greater than normal speed, then works fine
for a bit and then freezes again and so on ... very annoying!

identical set-up, but with SP1 does not have this problem ... has anyone
else seen this and am i correct in assuming that SP2 is the cause ...

much appreciate all input ...

p.s. any word on whether MSN Messenger 7 will work better with SP2?

Greetings Coaster,

You and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click Start,
then All Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Network Connections. Right
click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet
Scheduler, and try again. If the QoS option is grayed out, simply click on it and choose the
Uninstall button instead.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"coaster" <please@no.com> wrote in message news:41a57807$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
>i am experiencing a jerky video and audio problems with MSN Messenger 6.2 and WinXP Pro SP2
>... the video and audio periodically freeze for a brief moment and then rush forward with
>greater than normal speed, then works fine for a bit and then freezes again and so on ...
>very annoying!
>
> identical set-up, but with SP1 does not have this problem ... has anyone else seen this and
> am i correct in assuming that SP2 is the cause ...
>
> much appreciate all input ...
>
> p.s. any word on whether MSN Messenger 7 will work better with SP2?

Coaster

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004

thank you very much this has really helped ... the quality of the video is
still suffering a bit ... on the SP1 both the local user and the "other
party" video is much better quality than on SP2 for some reason ... it gets
kind of washed out periodically on both ends ... colours get distorted, etc.
.... any tweaks for this?

but the jerky video and audio are definitely fixed now ... thank you!

> Greetings Coaster,
>
> You and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To
> do so, click Start,
> then All Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Network
> Connections. Right
> click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck
> the QoS Packet
> Scheduler, and try again. If the QoS option is grayed out, simply click
> on it and choose the
> Uninstall button instead.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "coaster" <please@no.com> wrote in message
>>i am experiencing a jerky video and audio problems with MSN Messenger 6.2
>>and WinXP Pro SP2 ... the video and audio periodically freeze for a brief
>>moment and then rush forward with greater than normal speed, then works
>>fine for a bit and then freezes again and so on ... very annoying!
>>
>> identical set-up, but with SP1 does not have this problem ... has anyone
>> else seen this and am i correct in assuming that SP2 is the cause ...
>>
>> much appreciate all input ...
>>
>> p.s. any word on whether MSN Messenger 7 will work better with SP2?

Hi Coaster,

I'm afraid that's really the only tweak there is.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"coaster" <please@no.com> wrote in message news:41a6fa20$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
> thank you very much this has really helped ... the quality of the video is still suffering
> a bit ... on the SP1 both the local user and the "other party" video is much better quality
> than on SP2 for some reason ... it gets kind of washed out periodically on both ends ...
> colours get distorted, etc. ... any tweaks for this?
>
> but the jerky video and audio are definitely fixed now ... thank you!
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings Coaster,
>>
>> You and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click
>> Start,
>> then All Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Network Connections.
>> Right
>> click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet
>> Scheduler, and try again. If the QoS option is grayed out, simply click on it and choose
>> the
>> Uninstall button instead.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "coaster" <please@no.com> wrote in message news:41a57807$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
>>>i am experiencing a jerky video and audio problems with MSN Messenger 6.2 and WinXP Pro
>>>SP2 ... the video and audio periodically freeze for a brief moment and then rush forward
>>>with greater than normal speed, then works fine for a bit and then freezes again and so on
>>>... very annoying!
>>>
>>> identical set-up, but with SP1 does not have this problem ... has anyone else seen this
>>> and am i correct in assuming that SP2 is the cause ...
>>>
>>> much appreciate all input ...
>>>
>>> p.s. any word on whether MSN Messenger 7 will work better with SP2?

I have the exact same problem. I have been trying to find
a solution for a while but nothing yet. Any ideas?