Question Mstwain32.exe - Application error pop up

Jun 4, 2019
I have had this issue for about 2 months (i think) and it is the most annoying thing ever, i can never get rid of it and when i press "ok" it takes maybe about 2 minutes and it pops up again. it alt tabs me out of games and u cant even minimize it. i have looked everywhere online but nobody knew how to fix it, some people say its a malware some says u just need to wipe clean your pc (i really cant wipe clean my pc, since it has alot of important files) please help.

picture of the error: View: https://imgur.com/Mh6K2Pv

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, if you have a lot of important files, yet can't wipe your PC, this tells me that you probably don't have a proper backup. That's the first thing you need to do before even considering working on this error.

Twain software is usually associated with older scanners and printers. If you have one, consider reinstalling the software for it.

This error may be caused by 3rd party software. I suggest doing a clean boot. A clean boot is where you disable all (non-Microsoft) software and boot into Windows and use it as normal. If the problem goes away while you are in the clean boot, then it was one of the programs you disabled during the clean boot that is causing the error to popup. You would then re-enable the programs a few a time until you discover which program is causing the problems for you.

Full instructions for doing a clean boot can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Warning: Be sure that you CHECK the box that says "Hide all Microsoft Services". You do NOT want to disable any Microsoft services or software.

Jun 4, 2019
Hi, if you have a lot of important files, yet can't wipe your PC, this tells me that you probably don't have a proper backup. That's the first thing you need to do before even considering working on this error.

Twain software is usually associated with older scanners and printers. If you have one, consider reinstalling the software for it.

This error may be caused by 3rd party software. I suggest doing a clean boot. A clean boot is where you disable all (non-Microsoft) software and boot into Windows and use it as normal. If the problem goes away while you are in the clean boot, then it was one of the programs you disabled during the clean boot that is causing the error to popup. You would then re-enable the programs a few a time until you discover which program is causing the problems for you.

Full instructions for doing a clean boot can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Warning: Be sure that you CHECK the box that says "Hide all Microsoft Services". You do NOT want to disable any Microsoft services or software.
I will try the clean boot and also try reinstalling the scanners and printers drivers as soon as i get home, i just left so it might take a while till i get back. But once i try ur suggestions i will make sure to keep u updated
Thank you

Jun 4, 2019
mstwain32 is one of those files that can be hijacked by malware. Do a malware/virus scan.

it's ok dont worry about it, i gave up and deleted everything. ps. i tried the printers and scanners software reinstall and also tried the clean boot but nothing helped. thank you for at least trying