[SOLVED] msvcrt.dll issue

godspanther

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
I am attempting to set up a legacy system that will run XP with the ability to run 98 in virtual mode so that I can play all my old games. After getting XP installed I attempted to update some drivers but kept getting a msvcrt.dll error message. After searching online I found what looked like a simple 5 step fix.

Step 1
Insert your Windows XP CD into your computer's CD or DVD drive, then restart your computer. Press any key to boot from your optical drive.

Step 2
Press \"R\" when the Welcome screen appears. Log in as an administrator.

Step 3
Type \"cd system32\" and hit \"Enter.\" Type \"ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.bak\" and hit \"Enter\" again.

Step 4
Type \":\", replacing \"\" with the drive letter corresponding to your optical drive. Hit \"Enter.\"

Step 5
Type \"cd \\i386\" and hit \"Enter.\" Type \"expand msvcrt.dl_ :\\windows\\system32.\" Replace \"\" with the drive letter corresponding to your computer's local hard drive. Usually the drive letter is designated as \"C.\"

Press \"Enter.\" Type \"exit\" and press \"Enter.\" Restart your computer and remove the Windows XP CD from your computer. Boot to Windows XP as normal.

However I had just finished step 3 and was typing in the drive letter for step 4 when I lost power. Once I got power back I tried to pick up where I left off. Only now after typing \"ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.bak\" I get a file not found message and can not complete the steps. Also the system will no longer boot to windows. How do I fix this?

Solution
I am attempting to set up a legacy system that will run XP with the ability to run 98 in virtual mode so that I can play all my old games. After getting XP installed I attempted to update some drivers but kept getting a msvcrt.dll error message. After searching online I found what looked like a simple 5 step fix.

Step 1
Insert your Windows XP CD into your computer's CD or DVD drive, then restart your computer. Press any key to boot from your optical drive.

Step 2

Step 3
Type \"cd system32\" and hit \"Enter.\" Type \"ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.bak\" and hit \"Enter\" again.

Step 4
Type \":\", replacing \"\" with the drive letter corresponding to your optical...

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4
Type \":\", replacing \"\" with the drive letter corresponding to your optical drive. Hit \"Enter.\"

Step 5
Type \"cd \\i386\" and hit \"Enter.\" Type \"expand msvcrt.dl_ :\\windows\\system32.\" Replace \"\" with the drive letter corresponding to your computer's local hard drive. Usually the drive letter is designated as \"C.\"

Press \"Enter.\" Type \"exit\" and press \"Enter.\" Restart your computer and remove the Windows XP CD from your computer. Boot to Windows XP as normal.

However I had just finished step 3 and was typing in the drive letter for step 4 when I lost power. Once I got power back I tried to pick up where I left off. Only now after typing \"ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.bak\" I get a file not found message and can not complete the steps. Also the system will no longer boot to windows. How do I fix this?
Copy the file instead of replacing, the file might have got deleted

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Solution