MTGO: The Costs?

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004
31
0
18,530
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hi there

I don't know if this is the correct group to ask this, but I think it is.
I'm considering joining the MTGO scene for a while now, since I have some
problems playing MTG face to face nowadays since the organised group play
tends to be in the wrong places at the wrong times for me.

I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is always
mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it cost to purchase
a ticket in euros/dollars? How much would an online boosterpack cost for
example, or a tournement?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

In news:d3ljs5$qce$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl,
ikke <iemand@ergens.nl> rambled:
> Hi there
>
> I don't know if this is the correct group to ask this, but I think it
> is. I'm considering joining the MTGO scene for a while now, since I
> have some problems playing MTG face to face nowadays since the
> organised group play tends to be in the wrong places at the wrong
> times for me.
>
> I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is
> always mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it
> cost to purchase a ticket in euros/dollars? How much would an online
> boosterpack cost for example, or a tournement?

I only booster draft online, so I can't speak for constructed tournaments,
but booster drafts cost 3 packs and 2 tickets to enter. That translates into
$13.07 (3.69 *3 packs, plus 1.00 * 2 tickets). That's US dollars - I don't
know what the exchange rate to the Euro is.

I believe the initial cost is $10 to download the game (and you'll get a $10
coupon to spend as you see fit at the online store, so it evens out). Then,
you'll have to get cards. How you do that is up to you. Trade, buy,
whatever. In Magic Online, the currency is "tix", or tickets, which roughly
translate to $1. I've noticed that trade value of cards seems to be higher
online than IRL, though.

Once you have cards, you can play in the casual room for free with friends
or random people.

More info:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/magiconline
https://magiconlinestore.wizards.com/

HTH.

--

KB

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

ikke wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I don't know if this is the correct group to ask this, but I think it is.
> I'm considering joining the MTGO scene for a while now, since I have some
> problems playing MTG face to face nowadays since the organised group play
> tends to be in the wrong places at the wrong times for me.
>
> I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is
> always mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it cost to
> purchase a ticket in euros/dollars?

A ticket is $1, when bought from Wizards.

> How much would an online boosterpack
> cost for example, or a tournement?

Same as the MSRP of a physical booster: $3.69. No volume discounts; can't
buy by the box here, alas. Thus, to get into a standard 8-player single
elimination draft tourney, which takes three boosters and two tickets,
requires $13.07 worth of product. Of course, you keep the cards you draft,
and 11 prize boosters are distributed among the top four players. So if you
trade away the cards you draft afterwards, your actual cost would be less
than that, and if you play well, it would be only a small fraction or even
effectively free (though that's tough to do). And, on the upside, remember
that there's no subscription fee whatsoever. Wizards charges only for
buying cards, and tickets, which are only required for events (which always
award boosters as prizes). Casual play is free (although bringing a decent
deck to the table won't be).


--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Chris Mattern wrote:

> ikke wrote:
>
>
>>Hi there
>>
>>I don't know if this is the correct group to ask this, but I think it is.
>>I'm considering joining the MTGO scene for a while now, since I have some
>>problems playing MTG face to face nowadays since the organised group play
>>tends to be in the wrong places at the wrong times for me.
>>
>>I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is
>>always mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it cost to
>>purchase a ticket in euros/dollars?
>
> A ticket is $1, when bought from Wizards.

Note though that many events cost 2 tickets.
I believe some cost more, but haven't seen them.

Just playing for fun costs 0 tickets.
People also often trade cards for tickets in MTGO as tickets
form a convienient "currency".
 

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004
31
0
18,530
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Thanks for all the reactions! I'm not sure yet i'm gonna play MTGO (because
I kinda like playing IRL a bit more, even though there is some lack of
people to play with) but now at least I know what to consider :-D


"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> schreef in bericht
news:Qru7e.53$Zi.28@fed1read04...
> Chris Mattern wrote:
>
>> ikke wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hi there
>>>
>>>I don't know if this is the correct group to ask this, but I think it is.
>>>I'm considering joining the MTGO scene for a while now, since I have some
>>>problems playing MTG face to face nowadays since the organised group play
>>>tends to be in the wrong places at the wrong times for me.
>>>
>>>I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is
>>>always mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it cost to
>>>purchase a ticket in euros/dollars?
>>
>> A ticket is $1, when bought from Wizards.
>
> Note though that many events cost 2 tickets.
> I believe some cost more, but haven't seen them.
>
> Just playing for fun costs 0 tickets.
> People also often trade cards for tickets in MTGO as tickets
> form a convienient "currency".
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

ikke wrote:
> Thanks for all the reactions! I'm not sure yet i'm gonna play MTGO (because
> I kinda like playing IRL a bit more, even though there is some lack of
> people to play with)

Likewise, it's the lack of RL time or people that has me playing on-line.
I bought the 8th edition starter set and played "for free" for a
while until I finally bit the bullet as to getting more involved.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

At some point in time, "ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote:

>
>I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is always
>mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it cost to purchase
>a ticket in euros/dollars? How much would an online boosterpack cost for
>example, or a tournement?
>
>

I looked over the other answers in the thread, and agree with them. One thing
not mentioned is a cheap means of "bootstrapping" yourself into constructed-deck
play. Online common and uncommon sets are relatively cheap (particularly when
compared with real cards and the associated shipping costs) on eBay. For
instance you can get a full playset of Champions of Kamigawa (4x each card, 440
total) for about $15. And if you plan to play "normal" constructed decks, with
four-of-a-kind limits, that's all you'd need: in RL magic, you may need 8x or
more of staple cards, but in MTGO, each card can appear in as many decks as you
like.

Online drafting can get expensive, especially if you aren't any good at it and
can't unload the stuff you draft to cut down your expenses. Online casual
constructed play, if you can get by without (big ticket) rares, you can keep to
about $100 a year or so, and that assumes you never sell any old cards. I've
been trading off my out-of-print uncommons, so I keep an even shorter limit on
my expenses.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not
Jeff Boes | thus handicapped.
jboes@qtm.net | --Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:17:52 -0400, "Briscobar" <youcant@sendmespam.com>
wrote:
>In news:d3ljs5$qce$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl,
>ikke <iemand@ergens.nl> rambled:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I don't know if this is the correct group to ask this, but I think it
>> is. I'm considering joining the MTGO scene for a while now, since I
>> have some problems playing MTG face to face nowadays since the
>> organised group play tends to be in the wrong places at the wrong
>> times for me.
>>
>> I have heard some talk about MTGO, but costs of cards/tournements is
>> always mentioned in 'tickets'. That's great, but how much does it
>> cost to purchase a ticket in euros/dollars? How much would an online
>> boosterpack cost for example, or a tournement?
>
>I only booster draft online, so I can't speak for constructed tournaments,
>but booster drafts cost 3 packs and 2 tickets to enter. That translates into
>$13.07 (3.69 *3 packs, plus 1.00 * 2 tickets). That's US dollars - I don't
>know what the exchange rate to the Euro is.

That'd be about 11 euros or so, were it not for the fact that persons
living in nl get to pay 19% VAT (sales tax, but not) over that amount. So
the actual euro cost is probably around 13-14 or so.

>I believe the initial cost is $10 to download the game (and you'll get a $10
>coupon to spend as you see fit at the online store, so it evens out). Then,
>you'll have to get cards. How you do that is up to you. Trade, buy,
>whatever. In Magic Online, the currency is "tix", or tickets, which roughly
>translate to $1. I've noticed that trade value of cards seems to be higher

Tix are available for $1 at the mtgo store, or you can buy them in bulk
(50-100) on ebay at around .90 or so (bonus: no VAT).

>online than IRL, though.

Probably a larger percentage of players who just have to have playsets of
all the Big Rares of the moment.

If you look closely on ebay, you can get full MTGO Commons playsets of
entire blocks (especially Onslaught, since it's just recently OOP that
means a glut on the market, rather than rare as hen's teeth) for 20 bucks
-- that's nearly 1000 cards.

Jasper