MTP Driver fails to install/update correctly; Galaxy S5 neo not recognized when plugged into USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexismiffed

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Problem occurred seemingly overnight a couple months ago and PC stopped reading my old S3 and now my new S5. Both phones are able to connect via USB to other computers and show up as storage devices.

All my USB ports work, and I've tried 3 different cables.

Uninstalled and reinstalled MTP drivers that the Samsung support guy gave me and I get these errors.

MTP is enabled on the phone, and I've tried using Samsung's software to connect, Kies and Smart Switch, but they fail as well. Also tried connecting with USB debugging mode enabled and disabled on the phone and it makes no difference.

I've tried this fix, and this.

Windows 7 (64 bit) is up to date and my phone is running android 5.1.1

After searching forums for hours now I'm completely at a loss as to what else I can do so I figured I might as well make my own thread.

any help is much appreciated

ps off topic; this thing constantly popping up is absolutely obnoxious

Here's what I would do first.

Uninstall all of the samsung software and drivers
Uninstall the USB root hubs in the device manager
Unplug the cable, if the phone is hooked up
Restart the PC
When the desktop has finished loading, plug the phone back in
The PC will see the new hardware and try to install the correct software
If that doesn't work, run windows updates
If that doesn't work, try that installer again

alexismiffed

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

thanks for the reply,

I'd already done pretty much this, but just to make sure I tried it again exactly as you specified and this is what I got when I plugged the phone in after restarting.

Additionally this is the error displayed in windows update when failing to install the MTP driver.

googling the error code has yet to yield something I haven't tried already :(

I should also mention that I updated my mobo using intel's driver utility and Windows (besides failing to update MTP) is also up to date.

luketexas

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
Any luck? I have the same issue. I've uninstalled all related samsung drivers, reinstalled USB host drivers, reinstalled Microsoft's MTP package, ran the samsung software again to ensure everything is uptodate, but still I cannot view my device on my PC.

alexismiffed

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

Sorry, I don't follow.

If you mean I should install the drivers that Samsung support gave me while the phone is disconnected, I've already tried this.

Uninstalling all the drivers again, plugging in the phone to prompt Windows to search for relevant drivers, then unplugging the phone as it attempts to install certainly didn't work. Likewise keeping it plugged in yields this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.