[SOLVED] Much Slower Internet Through Router

DMan7701

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your time.

I recently upgraded to a 100mps internet package. If I plug an Ethernet cord straight from the modem to my PC, I get around 60mps, which seems fair enough...

If I instead plug it into my router, and then to my PC, It drops to 13-14mps. Speeds are the same if I try wifi instead of a hardwire.

My router is a Belkin AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router, Model F9K1124 v1. My modem is a Arris model TM822.

I do have 3 other devices connected to this router via wifi - my phone, an alexa, and a firestick, although all aren't active all the time... I tried disconnecting those but my speeds stayed the same on the PC. I received maybe a 0.5 bump with everything off or unplugged.

I also have all up to date drivers and firmware.

I'm just trying to figure out if the speed decrease makes sense when compared to the other devices I have connected... And if so, is there a router out there anyone could recommend that would maybe not split the speed so poorly?

Or is there possibly something else I could take a look at between the modem, router, and my PC? I took a look around my router dashboard but I'm not sure what to look for... Is there maybe a way I can set a priority of what device I'd like to receive the most speed?

Thank you again, I appreciate your time!

Solution
60Mbit when paying for 100Mbit service is pretty poor. I would have the ISP come check it.

Do a factory reset on the router. Set the admin password, SSID and WIF password. No other options. Retest your performance.

DMan7701

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
60Mbit when paying for 100Mbit service is pretty poor. I would have the ISP come check it.

Do a factory reset on the router. Set the admin password, SSID and WIF password. No other options. Retest your performance.

I went ahead and did that, and also did a hard rest on the modem too, because why not?

That definitely helped... I managed 58mps through the router.

I wasn't sure if that 60 range was good or not. I figured with normal network traffic and such I'd be expecting too much to actually reach that 100mps number... But I will call them and have them come take a look. Seems like there's something holding it back from it's full potential...

Thank you!