Mucked up something in the BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilead86

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
So yes, I should not have gone into the BIOS in the first place but curiosity got the best of me. I have a ASUS P67 motherboard. I found something called "OC Tuner" in the BIOS (in the Advanced settings, I must confess), clicking on it gave two options; "OK" and "Cancel". I clicked on OK, computer shut down, it started up twice, shut down twice, started up the third time however now instead of 8 gigs of RAM it is only showing 4 Gigs. Can anyone tell me what happened and how to salvage this situation?

Edit: Made a correction.

Solution
First reset your ram by taking it out and putting it back in and make sure that is not your problem.
If that dose not work unplug your computer and look for a battery on your mother board it should look like a watch battery remove the battery for several minutes whale your pc is still unplugged replace the battery and start it back up. what this dose is reset the bios and any thing you changed.
worst case you fried the ram or it just went out. try putting some different ram in to see if that is the case.
P.S most people mess something up the first time to go in to the bios (i messed up several times in a row at first), but your sure not going to learn if you dont try.

sethandflirt

Honorable
May 5, 2012
First reset your ram by taking it out and putting it back in and make sure that is not your problem.
If that dose not work unplug your computer and look for a battery on your mother board it should look like a watch battery remove the battery for several minutes whale your pc is still unplugged replace the battery and start it back up. what this dose is reset the bios and any thing you changed.
worst case you fried the ram or it just went out. try putting some different ram in to see if that is the case.
P.S most people mess something up the first time to go in to the bios (i messed up several times in a row at first), but your sure not going to learn if you dont try.

Solution

Gilead86

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Your first suggestion worked, thank you. After reset it said "OC failed, press F1 to go into setup." I loaded defaults and for now its showing both sticks of RAM.

I have a set of DD3 which is 1.5v. Do you think its safe to run 8 gigs of 1.65v and 8 gigs of 1.5v RAM simultaneously? Cheers.

Xttony

Distinguished

You can run it but you can get random crashes. Your system can crash in the interval Of one day or in the interval of one year you can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.