MUIs Render Win7 Pro, Home OS ''Non-genuine''

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestsun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
It's a petty for windows user, as Mac OS X has multi-language interface built right in. You just go to the preference and set it, and even some of the apple software changes to that language (like ilife suite, iwork etc.). Now that is putting the user's convenience on the top.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]forrestsun[/nom]It's a petty for windows user, as Mac OS X has multi-language interface built right in. You just go to the preference and set it, and even some of the apple software changes to that language (like ilife suite, iwork etc.). Now that is putting the user's convenience on the top.[/citation]

You have any idea how many thumbs down your going to get?

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
It's called getting what you paid for. You don't purchase before looking at the list of features each edition has do you? If you want MUI, then buy the Ultimate version, simple as that. It's all about an agreed price/product between the consumer and the producer.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]You have any idea how many thumbs down your going to get?[/citation]

20, it's the max!

G

I think this all limiting MUI-s to Ult/Ent is BS.Language is a basic feature and should not be limited.Oddly enough you can buy MS OEM/Retail versions where the language is integrated into say an Home Premium version but for some completely unknown(to us) reason we are not allowed to do the same manually ourselves.

MS should straighten this out and move MUI-s to be edition independent.Only some more exclusive features should be limited to Ult/Ent.

jetbruceli

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I dont see why they just dont include it in all of them. I dont need an additional language pack but I dont think I am going to buy the Ultimate edition just so I can run another language.
Oh well, MS needs the money. And we need MS.

To bad mac sucks! haha!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... there iz a need of a lawsuit, to make a precedent... like... M$ need to allow at least two languages... the original and the local native one... i predict, that the European courts will be the first ones...

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]yo_yo2400[/nom]@forrestsun at least were not the crappy linux distro.[/citation]
At least in Linux I don't have to deal with artificial crap like Genuine Windows verification.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
A Linux user is also a System Administrator and Support
You HAVE to know which distro and what enhancements and whichever build you have
or maybe you are a bit of a Programmer, too:
you "just" compile it from the scratch
ouch!
I AM a all of those and I still stay out of Linux

NOTICE: Mac OS/X *IS* UNIX and it still is a Mac
It shows to the Finnish Linus Thornvalds how the UI is done right
BTW: I'm from Finland, too...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Guys, calm down! Two points:
1) Linux has many different languages available. I've never used anything but English, so I can't comment on the translation quality. Still, they're there.
2) Like alikum said, you get what you pay for. Mac users get multiple languages, but (to put it mildly) they pay a premium. Those of us who use Windows and don't need Estonian, Swahili, Russian, etc. lanquage packs have the option of saving money and going with something like Win7 Home Premium. It makes sense to me that we pay less for fewer features that we don't need!
Re: the article itself - too bad MS doesn't simply disallow the installation of the MUI on non-compatible versions of Win7. I'm sure a version check would be easy to implement for them...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Another MS goof. I admit, I beta tested Win7 and did not see this problem because I didn't apply any MUIs. But then again, since the beta version was an "ultimate" version this wouldn't have presented itself. MS prduces mediocre software that it markets at a fair price better than anyone. Given the cost of Win7, it should be better than this. The more salient issue is that given the increasing cost attributed to "fair", MS better be on alert to doing better. Products like Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx with OpenOffice would meet the computing needs of the VAST majority of users if said users dumped MS...for FREE nonetheless. Forget OS X for PCs. While I think it would be great, Apple doesn't want the headache nor do they want to deal in the generic PC world. Bottom line, MS needs to do better....period.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
A couple things..

MSFT is legit in this. Customers who use a 3rd party to hack features into a more expensive version are indeed violating the EULA.

Windows (any version) ship in Many languages. The base models are going to cover nearly all the user poplulation. There is some 99% chance that you do not need to purchase anything additional with Windows.

The MUIs are some of the more obscure languages. Translation isn't free so the cost for these low use languages is passed on to those consumers instead of all consumers.

The true amount of languages supported is insane. Oriya? Tatar, Tamil, Sinhala? Welsh (yeah it's unique)?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/8/1/08194A86-D6AE-4E50-82F5-F5FD327C9F43/LLP_UP_Site_%20Lang_%20Offerings_%20Link_List_05_17_10_newlanguages.xls

Apple guys: STFU. MSFT does more localization than you can even dream about.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
A couple things..

MSFT is legit in this. Customers who use a 3rd party to hack features into a more expensive version are indeed violating the EULA.

Windows (any version) ship in Many languages. The base models are going to cover nearly all the user poplulation. There is some 99% chance that you do not need to purchase anything additional with Windows.

The MUIs are some of the more obscure languages. Translation isn't free so the cost for these low use languages is passed on to those consumers instead of all consumers.

The true amount of languages supported is insane. Oriya? Tatar, Tamil, Sinhala? Welsh (yeah it's unique)?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/8/1/08194A86-D6AE-4E50-82F5-F5FD327C9F43/LLP_UP_Site_%20Lang_%20Offerings_%20Link_List_05_17_10_newlanguages.xls

Apple guys: STFU. MSFT does more localization than you can even dream about.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Microsoft breaks its own crappy software with language packs. Why is this news? I'm so glad I kicked Windows to the curb back in 1997. Nothing but Linux and OSX for me. You know - operating systems that actually work.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Microsoft breaks its own crappy software with language packs. Why is this news? I'm so glad I kicked Windows to the curb back in 1997. Nothing but Linux and OSX for me. You know - operating systems that actually work.[/citation]

So Win7 is a failed OS that doesn't work? How about WinXP? Yeh? does not work are you sure? Yeh?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
The differences in each level of Windows are certainly not simple to the average consumer. I couldn't come up with anything off the top of my head to tell someone why they should go with Professional or Ultimate that is of any real value to most users.

At least this feature is something most users don't need.

aleccj1

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]A Linux user is also a System Administrator and SupportYou HAVE to know which distro and what enhancements and whichever build you haveor maybe you are a bit of a Programmer, too:you "just" compile it from the scratchouch!I AM a all of those and I still stay out of LinuxNOTICE: Mac OS/X *IS* UNIX and it still is a MacIt shows to the Finnish Linus Thornvalds how the UI is done rightBTW: I'm from Finland, too...[/citation]
Linus Torvalds didn't create the UI for Linux. Besides, Linux isn't an OS. It's a kernal. Therefore, how could it have it's own UI? The OS itself is usually called Linux/GNU. Maybe you should know what your talking about before you say it?
PS: You can make a Linux distro look like the OS X UI. Can you customize the UI in OS X to make it look like something else? No. You can't, because it's from Apple, and Apple is restrictive.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]The differences in each level of Windows are certainly not simple to the average consumer. I couldn't come up with anything off the top of my head to tell someone why they should go with Professional or Ultimate that is of any real value to most users.At least this feature is something most users don't need.[/citation]
If you don't know that you need something special, you buy the cheapest one. That is Home, and the casual user is who it is targeted at. If you need something more, odds are you know it and are capable of choosing appropriately.

I'm no MS fanboy, but seriously.. How hard is it?

G

Microsoft is officially supporting installing Windows 7 home and professional with more than one MUI, when the user is selection MUI in the OOBE stage of installation the system selects this MUI, and silently removes all other MUI's if the OS is a Home or Professional version, the removal of additional MUI's is done within 1-2 hours.

This is to support PC manufactors OEM's shipping Windows with both Local and International lauanguage without having multiply stock of the same hardware.

It works perfectly, but have to be done right in the OEM installation stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.