Multi Bay hard drive enclosures

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Hii there.

I just need to know that whether the below given multiple hard drive enclosures which are both infact RAID Towers, can they be used without RAID configuration. Means simply putting in the hard disks and connecting them to PC via common SATA to USB interface as they provide . How the drives will be visible to me ? Say if in 5 bay enclosure I put in 5, 1 TB HDD's then how will they be visible to me in Windows or will be accessible or not without RAID config ?? Is it necessary to use RAID Configuration with these enclosures or not ???

Sans Digital TowerRAID Black Hard Drive Enclosure TR5M-B - 3.5", 5Bay, SATA to eSATA, Raid
Sans Digital TR8X-B TowerRAID Hard Drive Enclosure - 8-Bay 3.5" SATA to SAS, RAID, 0, 1, 1+0, 5, 6, JBOD, Black

Shubhankar.

Solution
Yes. I believe these units all ship with a eSata "host adapter" and support JBOD. So just install the host adapter provided, configure the drives/driver as JBOD ("just a bunch of drives") and they'll act just like additional drives from windows and other applications.

BidNo
Use the hardrive software available on cd with retail boxed drives or as a free download. I use maxblast 5 (for seagate and maxtor) to set up new drives. Set up one only as the boot device and the others as secondary. Then you can make a drive to drive copy to the boot drive if desired.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Hii there.

I just need to know that whether the below given multiple hard drive enclosures which are both infact RAID Towers, can they be used without RAID configuration. Means simply putting in the hard disks and connecting them to PC via common SATA to USB interface as they provide . How the drives will be visible to me ? Say if in 5 bay enclosure I put in 5, 1 TB HDD's then how will they be visible to me in Windows or will be accessible or not without RAID config ?? Is it necessary to use RAID Configuration with these enclosures or not ???

Sans Digital TowerRAID Black Hard Drive Enclosure TR5M-B - 3.5", 5Bay, SATA to eSATA, Raid
Sans Digital TR8X-B TowerRAID Hard Drive Enclosure - 8-Bay 3.5" SATA to SAS, RAID, 0, 1, 1+0, 5, 6, JBOD, Black

Shubhankar.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I just need to know that when I use these multi bay enclosure without RAID configuration , will the individual hard disk will be visible as individual hard disk like in USB connected drives or not ? Its simple say if i put 5 hdd's in the 5 bay enclosure will I be shown 5 independent hard disks or not ?

BidNo

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Yes. I believe these units all ship with a eSata "host adapter" and support JBOD. So just install the host adapter provided, configure the drives/driver as JBOD ("just a bunch of drives") and they'll act just like additional drives from windows and other applications.

BidNo

Solution