Multi-bay USB2.0 enclosures?

loony

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001
Has anyone seen a multi bay USB2.0 enclosure? You can find them everywhere for FireWire but the laptops I have unfortunately don't have FW... I'm currently dealing with a 4 external enclosures and a USB hub but that gets so messy and something always ends up getting unplugged right in the middle of my testing...

Thanks,

Peter.
--

http://www.dealrover.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by loony on 06/29/04 10:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can make you an 18 drive USB 2.0 tower if you like, you buy the parts.

Most USB 2.0 enclosures use a single channel IDE controller that supports 2 drives (Master and Slave). Remove a card and put it in an old SCSI 2-bay enclosure. With multiple cards and a USB 2.0 hub, you could fill any size enclosure.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dprimm

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
www.cooldrives.com has them.

Chrashman, I have a spare PII sitting here not doing anything. I would love to do exactly what you mentioned only via firewire. Same general concept? Just use the PS in the tower for the HDs? Disconnect the motherboard as it is not needed for such a use?

Thanks
David

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The nice thing about Firewire enclosures is that you can chain them, so you wouldn't need a hub as with USB enclosures. You'd use the interface card for the drives of course. And that comes with it's own power supply. Of course, these power supplies are usually 12v/5v multipin, so you COULD use the computer's power supply to power the cards and drives simultaniously.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>