Question Multi-Colored Dots Appearing While Playing Game

Jan 18, 2020
Recently, I installed an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super, and it was working pretty great for about a month. But then , yesterday, I started seeing these strange dots (linked image) . They only appear when I'm playing a fullscreen game, and start after a minute or two.

So here's how it will go:
  1. Start game
  2. Wait 1 minute
  3. Small multi-colored dots appear
  4. Small multi-colored dots get more intense over time
  5. Computer freezes up and alt tab doesn't work.
  6. Force shut down PC.

I've taken a picture of the screen with my phone, and several screenshots. Only one of the screenshots showed the dots, and it was not as severe.

I'm going to troubleshoot myself after I write this, I'd just like to ask anybody if they've had the same issue and how they've solved it.

2020-01-18_12.30.28.png

image0.jpg

Jan 18, 2020
Can you give more details on your specs. PSU. CPU. Mobo. Are you overclocking anything as well.

Yep! I probably should've mentioned that in the original post, sorry.

-16 GB of RAM
-Intel Core i7-4790 CPU
-Corsair CX 450 PSU

So now for the Motherboard, it comes from a computer called the Dell OptiPlex 9020 and I'm going to be honest this is kind of embarrassing. Basically I bought the computer from somebody, and they didn't even mention the motherboard, which is kind of sketchy. I didn't really think about it until now, but I should probably get it replaced.

Jan 18, 2020
You gotta remember everything in your pc demands power. Fans. Graphics. CPU. Mobo. Etc.

Okay so it's been a few days and I got a new PSU, it's a 700w Thermaltake. Put it in, triple-checked every cord, and the same issue is happening. I'm still glad I bought a new one as it may have been causing other issues.

Jan 18, 2020
Is the i7 CPU the original one that came with that mobo ?

My CPU did not come with the motherboard, I have 9 fans including the ones that are physically part of my GPU and PSU, and the case is pretty open. There's a big vent on top, in the back, and a small one on the side.

Ferimer

Distinguished
My CPU did not come with the motherboard, I have 9 fans including the ones that are physically part of my GPU and PSU, and the case is pretty open. There's a big vent on top, in the back, and a small one on the side.
I would try checking your temps and see what's going on when the problem is happening. I dont doubt you know what you're doing but make sure the fans have been set up properly and not all are set up for intake. Ensure front ones are taking in air top and back ones are for exhaust and side can be for taking in air as well.

Jan 18, 2020
I would try checking your temps and see what's going on when the problem is happening. I dont doubt you know what you're doing but make sure the fans have been set up properly and not all are set up for intake. Ensure front ones are taking in air top and back ones are for exhaust and side can be for taking in air as well.

Before I do that, I’d like to provide some more info, as the problem has escalated. Now every once and a while my headphone menu will pop up (it asks me the type of audio device I plugged in) then my pc will just freeze and the screen will just go haywire, turning off, and on.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yeah I would be checking your temps at this point. Things shouldnt be doing that unless there is a problem. A few more questions. There was enough thermal paste applied to the CPU? You can download any one of the temperature reading apps and get an idea of what going on. I dont want to be telling you to spend more money on things b4 you determine if there is an overheating problem.

Jan 18, 2020
Yeah I would be checking your temps at this point. Things shouldnt be doing that unless there is a problem. A few more questions. There was enough thermal paste applied to the CPU? You can download any one of the temperature reading apps and get an idea of what going on. I dont want to be telling you to spend more money on things b4 you determine if there is an overheating problem.

okay so using HWMonitor I looked in at the temperatures while the problem was occurring, they maintained around 55C and reached 61C at points, but that was it.

Jan 18, 2020
Artifacts are created when the GPU is malfunctioning. It can mean its dying and needs to be replaced. Have you changed any clock settings on the GPU?

No I have not and I do believe the one I bought is broken. My warranty hasn’t expired yet and I contacted Nvidia and I’m awaiting an email from their rma department.

Jan 18, 2020
No I have not and I do believe the one I bought is broken. My warranty hasn’t expired yet and I contacted Nvidia and I’m awaiting an email from their rma department.

And I haven’t overclocked it at all. I’m going to go ahead and not use my pc until a get a replacement.

Jan 18, 2020
Since you now have a better psu that will help with the replacement. Has you have 9 fans in there you definitely needed more power. Keep me updated

Update: I've received the email from Nvidia's RMA department. I'm going to ship it today. The email says it might take up to 15 days for me to receive my replacement.