Question Multi-GPU / Multi-Monitor questions ?

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Howdy yall, so im building a fun x99 pc for work/school, so i just plan on overdoing useless things for the fun of it. Cpu will be a xeon 1650 v3, mainly cause they are 10$ ebay but are “unlocked” and are about on par with a 4790. I believe the 16xx series xeons are the only unlocked xeons.

I came into possession of two quadro 4000 graphics cards. I got an idea to run my main card (either a vega 64 or a 1070ti, prolly the latter cause the the vega sucks watts) for my middle monitor, and then run each quadro on its own monitor to the left and right of my main monitor. The reason for this is while ill use the middle monitor for my most intensive things, for work and school i frequently multitask and use cad software. Although old, the quadros should handle basic cad nicely.

My question here is depending on the monitor the window is dragged to, the stress will be placed on the gpu assigned to that monitor? For example if i have a game running at 60 fps on the middle monitor hooked up to the vega, if i were to drag that game window to my either left or right side monitor hooked up to one of the quadros, would the fps reflect the performance of the quadro and immediately drop?

Dont have all my parts yet but this question was nagging me. A gpu per monitor seems dumb I know, but its for craps and giggles so humor me haha. Best regards yall

Howdy yall, so im building a fun x99 pc for work/school, so i just plan on overdoing useless things for the fun of it. Cpu will be a xeon 1650 v3, mainly cause they are 10$ ebay but are “unlocked” and are about on par with a 4790. I believe the 16xx series xeons are the only unlocked xeons.

I came into possession of two quadro 4000 graphics cards. I got an idea to run my main card (either a vega 64 or a 1070ti, prolly the latter cause the the vega sucks watts) for my middle monitor, and then run each quadro on its own monitor to the left and right of my main monitor. The reason for this is while ill use the middle monitor for my most intensive things, for work and school i frequently multitask and use cad software. Although old, the quadros should handle basic cad nicely.

My question here is depending on the monitor the window is dragged to, the stress will be placed on the gpu assigned to that monitor? For example if i have a game running at 60 fps on the middle monitor hooked up to the vega, if i were to drag that game window to my either left or right side monitor hooked up to one of the quadros, would the fps reflect the performance of the quadro and immediately drop?

Dont have all my parts yet but this question was nagging me. A gpu per monitor seems dumb I know, but its for craps and giggles so humor me haha. Best regards yall
No, it's not dumb, that way you stress each GPU on it's own. But... at resolutions up to 1080p @60HZ, the rest of system, mainly CPU is doing all the work, FPS would be little affected by GPU.
PS. Quadro is not a gaming GPU.

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Yeah I knew quadros werent for gaming but thats about all I understood haha. Theyre more used for professional setting and graphic design/rendering right?

I didnt plan on playing with the game on all 3 monitors, just had a general wondering on how the hardware splits the work, and if monitors are representative of the GPU that is running them.

I know the processing if the image begins in the cpu, but the gpu is what drives frame-rate mainly, is it not?

Yeah I knew quadros werent for gaming but thats about all I understood haha. Theyre more used for professional setting and graphic design/rendering right?

I didnt plan on playing with the game on all 3 monitors, just had a general wondering on how the hardware splits the work, and if monitors are representative of the GPU that is running them.

I know the processing if the image begins in the cpu, but the gpu is what drives frame-rate mainly, is it not?
For same CPU, GPU figures more in picture quality (frequency and number of colors and details) which can influence frame rates/FPS providing CPU and rest of system can generate enough data data for it.
Lets take an example. You play a game and suddenly you get into situation where many characters and/or background or effects like smoke have to be controlled. If CPU can't do that in real time it doesn't have enough data to send to GPU to generate picture at same frame rate so it kinda hesitates and stops for some short time because it has to wait for data or even skips some frames making everything look jerky or slow. Gaming" GPUs are configured to have HW to buffer frames before they are displayed to try to alleviate that
GPUs like Quadro, are slated slated for different kind of usage and have co-processors which certain programs can use not only to display pictures but also help in calculations. They are mostly geared toward 2D output with weaker 3D accelerator games can use because they are written like that.