Question multi monitor DP issues?

Krisztian_85

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
hi, i have just bought 2 electriq budget 144hz freesync monitors. i plan to have a 3rd one soon. i also have a sony 4k tv connected on hdmi and the monitors on displayport. i had 3 monitors before on 2x dvi-d and 1x DP to dvi-d active adapter so i don't know if this is an issue with the cheap monitors (not an issue really they just work like that because they're cheap) or actually something in the displayport settings. Gpu is a 980ti.

So the issue is that every time i turn a monitor on it acts like it is connected the 1st time and all 3 screens freezing for a few seconds until the other(s) booting up. if all 3 are on and settled no problem, but i only use 1 or 2 in general, only use the tv if i watch something and only use 3 monitors if i simracing. Anyway as i turn one on and another off and then if i try to go back to the center 'default' one to do something on pc, it does not want to open windows on that one. so i have to turn them all on to find where the heck it opened them and drag them back to middle. for some reason it happens that it opens windows on the turned off screen majority of the time. Why the default monitor changes if i turn one off?

Is there a way to just move opened windows through monitors without turn them on?

if i have all 3 monitors i will do nvidia surround anyway that may sort it so i'll have 3 monitors as one and the tv as an optional 2nd display. that's how it was with the old setup with none of these issues.

Windows should have a 'move' option in the right click window taskbar menu really.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Are all your monitors running at 144hz? The problem with different montiors is that if one is a different native resolution or one that doesnt support 144hz or anything higher than its default refresh rate, your bound to run into problems if you turn one off or one goes on screensaver etc...

Another problem is that if you have all 3 monitors with 1440p or greater, Display port will not support all 3 even if daisy chained because the current technology doesn't support that as of yet. One way to alleviate this problem would be to daisy chain 2 of the 3 and use the 3rd one to directly connect to your GPU via HDMI. Or you can downsize the resolution to 1080p and get away with up to 4 monitors this way.

Lastly, if you have a monitor that doesnt support 144hz but others do, you might need to lower the 144 ones to the lowest refresh rate setting to match your 3rd monitor. Unfortunately like memory and gpu cards in sli, to make things compatible you need to match the lowest to get everything agreeing in harmony.

Also, make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers for you 980 and try to use nVidia's surround configuration to recognize all 3 of your monitors permanently so you will reduce the problems you have in the future if you tend to turn on off or have others change settings anytime etc... Good luck!

Reactions: Krisztian_85

Krisztian_85

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Yes currently the tv is on 60hz. i only have 1080p monitors anyway, so i have to wait for the 3rd one and setup nv surround, that way hopefully the tv won't mix things up as it won't be in use by default.(it will be a secondary choosable display)