Question Multi-monitor Multi-computer KVM

Mar 5, 2022
Can anyone help? I have a large monitor in the middle of my desk. On each side of this monitor is 2 monitors for a total of 5 monitors. Each of the 4 peripheral monitors is connected to a computer or laptop. I'm looking for a KVM that would mirror 1 of the 4 computer/monitors to the center screen. Or act as an extended display for the selected computer. Any ideas?

Mar 5, 2022
OK. I think I've answered my own question. See if this makes sense.

I could use an HDMI splitter on each machine with one for the monitor and one for the KVM. If I wanted extended display, I could connect the splitter to the second monitor port with the desired results.

Ralston18

Titan
So you require that each computer has its own display monitor with the additional requirement that any one of the four display monitors can be "featured" on the main/center monitor. Correct?

Maybe not a KVM switch per se. Perhaps something like this:

HDMI switch

You will probably find it helpful to sketch out the desired/required arrangement.

Mar 5, 2022
So you require that each computer has its own display monitor with the additional requirement that any one of the four display monitors can be "featured" on the main/center monitor. Correct?

Maybe not a KVM switch per se. Perhaps something like this:

HDMI switch

You will probably find it helpful to sketch out the desired/required arrangement.

That would work except I need the keyboard and mouse to follow the computer. Otherwise, I would need 4 keyboards and 4 mice.

Ralston18

Titan
There are certainly 4 computer KVMs.

For example (not a recommendation or endorsement):

4 Port KVM

Where it gets messy is all of the required cables for just the KVM alone. You do need to match all ports and connectors.

The "added" complication is the need to feature one of the four computers on the center/larger Monitor.

That means one HDMI connection to a computer's assigned monitor plus a cable/splitter leading to the HDMI switch serving the central monitor.

HDMI splitter

Again - sketch it all out: Every computer, cable (keyboard, video, mouse) , the KVM, the HDMI splitters and the HDMI switch. Pay attention to genders and lengths.

Then as you read the applicable KVM, HDMI splitter, and HDMI switch specs you can map out the connections to ensure that all will work together as you require.

Line diagram (as I understand the requirements - feel free to edit and correct):

(Where ====> represents the keyboard, video, and mouse connections to the KVM) and ----> being a HDMI cable.

Computer 1 ==== >(Port 1 KVM ------ HDMI video cable ----> to (IN) HDMI splitter 1 with HDMI splitter OUT 1 to Computer 1 monitor and OUT 2 to Port 1 HDMI switch -----> HDMI cable to center/larger monitor

Computer 2 ==== >(Port 2 KVM ------ HDMI video cable ----> to (IN) HDMI splitter 2 with HDMI splitter OUT 1 to Computer 2 monitor and OUT 2 to Port 2 HDMI switch -----> HDMI cable to center/larger monitor

Likewise for computers 3 and 4.

Sketch out as a block diagram to make the plan clearer.

Google "KVM block diagram" for examples. Pick a diagram that will serve as a template to work from.

Post if possible via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Hopefully someone may be able to provide a simpler more elegant solution.....