Question Multi threading causing low fps

matthew225

Commendable
Aug 22, 2017
When HT and virtualization is on in the bios my system gets an average of 60-80 fps in most games but oddly enough when I turned them off my average fps went all the way up to 180-200 can anyone explain why?

GPU: RTX 2070
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 32GB
SSD that the games are on: Samsung 970 EVO
MOBO: MPG Z390

I see, Have you tried by disable only virtualization?

But anyways, all those games you wrote are not well optimazed to use much more than 4 threads, and your i7 8700 have up to 12 threads (6 physical cores / 12 logical threads), so its normal than turning OFF HT you get more FPS.

If you try with something newer, like Shadow Of Tomb Raider, Hitman 2, Battlefield 5, etc. you will see how good the HT ON is.

Cheers

Reactions: matthew225

matthew225

Commendable
Aug 22, 2017
I see, Have you tried by disable only virtualization?

But anyways, all those games you wrote are not well optimazed to use much more than 4 threads, and your i7 8700 have up to 12 threads (6 physical cores / 12 logical threads), so its normal than turning OFF HT you get more FPS.

If you try with something newer, like Shadow Of Tomb Raider, Hitman 2, Battlefield 5, etc. you will see how good the HT ON is.

Cheers
I just turned HT back on and left virtualization disabled and am still seeing the benefits of it so thank you now I just have no idea really what virtualization does or why I had it on but again thank you.

Reactions: RodroX
I just turned HT back on and left virtualization disabled and am still seeing the benefits of it so thank you now I just have no idea really what virtualization does or why I had it on but again thank you.

lol np, glad it worked for ya, and don't worry about virtualization (VT) if you don't need it and have no idea, then no reason to have it ON.
If you wana know, more or less whats is for: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...chnology/intel-virtualization-technology.html

Cheers!

Reactions: matthew225