Multicore CPUs in 45% Of Smartphones By 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
45%? That's it? With the multi-cores coming out now (and 15% will be multi-core by the end of 2011), and contracts renewing somewhere between now and 2013, and then again by 2015, I think there'd be more than 45% out there.

G

I think that number is way too low. Why?

Because Apple is going to switch to multi core this year, and sales of single core will practically stop with them.

Microsoft will most likely as well, and they force hardware requirements, so no more single core on MS phones.

And it seems like the Android guys are going to fight out an arms race in the coming months, because who wants to buy the slowest android phone.

So what is going to be populating 55% of the market with single core phones by next year? RIM? Nokia?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Prediction: Cloud computing will be a waste of time. We won't even have Desktops as we know it, but moreso docking stations to project our cell phones onto big screens, use QWERTY keyboards and mice and so forth. Hell, in 2015, we'll be using the old joke "My cell phone can run Crysis!".

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I know a dual-core CPU has better performance than a single but unless battery technology evolves just as fast you'll be lucky to hold a charge for 1 day, let alone the 3 day norm.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
what kind of smart phone holds a charge for 3 freaking days.. i dunno about you but i have a smart phone to use its features and im lucky if its charged by the end of the day. hell most the time i have to keep it plugged in all day just to be able to use it when i get home.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Maybe my info was a little dated but my point about battery life is valid right? Your current single core phone can barely hold a charge for a full day, what do you think is the battery life of a dual-core one?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I suppose it depends on how they make the chip. If they use the same exact chip and double it with out one disabling its self under low or no use then yeah. Its going to be kinda crap. I was more agreeing with you but was like who's phone even lasts that long. Im hoping they are keeping battery life in the front of their minds when they are making these phones cuz i can drain one in a mere few hours or sooner depending on what im doing.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]260511[/nom]multi-core phones actually use less battery than single-core phones due to load optimization[/citation]

+1
But i guess this applies only when the load levels are upto 50-60%. When they are all worked out, they would use lots of juice. But nevertheless, when mobile phones are as powerful as laptops we would get used to the battery life hopefully, just as we dont complain about the 4 hours avg battery life on a laptop ( my laptop only gives me 2.. its a gaming laptop anyway ).

But if u really dont want that kind of power, there would always be a "battery friendly" offering from the manufacturer. Perhaps a different mobile phone with lower cpu frequencies?

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
45% by 2015?? LOL. This number should be for the smartphones released this year!
In 2015, my bet is 50% of the phones made by kilos will have dual-cores. In 2015 95% of Smartphones will have at least dual-cores CPUs. Common!!!!

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
all those cores.. and as long as your not walking, driving, eating, breathing or generally enjoying life while using your multi core device.. the government will let you use them... well... for a designated period of time in a designated area.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Does he mean 45% of the smartphones owned or smartphones sold? If it's sold it seems way too low and if he means owned it seems a bit low as well. It would mean that in 2015 most people with 2 year contract (started in 2013) won't have a dual core (or more) smartphone...not right.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Prediction: Cloud computing will be a waste of time. We won't even have Desktops as we know it, but moreso docking stations to project our cell phones onto big screens, use QWERTY keyboards and mice and so forth. Hell, in 2015, we'll be using the old joke "My cell phone can run Crysis!".[/citation]
Okay, and what exactly do you base this prediction off of? What figures? Furthermore, 2015 is not far away at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS