Multiple Admins, Favorites, Sluggish System, etc.

Sorry for the length this will turn out to be, but
providing as much info to help u provide quality solution.

One day last month, my admin login disappeared and having
never written it down, I became frustrated quickly. In
looking for my W2KPRO disk from the OEM who built my
system, I could not locate it, so I borrowed a friends
disk. (my first mistake)

Booting up with that disk, it asked what I wanted to do
and I vaguely remember something two options and I
selected one. It created another admin screen to log into
and then everything seemed fine or so I thought.

Now I have multiple 'admins' showing in [right click
start] 'explore', all my previous start programs that were
what I was using before the mishap and all the new ones
[mostly duplicates of the previous one] and 2-3 program
files showing while the entire system [regardless of being
on or off the net] runs at a snails pace. It use to run
like a rocket, on or off the net [I use a cable modem at
1.5 mg in both directions]

According to the OEM who built the machine, the
sluggishness of the OS was due to a failing HD, so we
replaced the 2 year old 80G 7200RPM w/2 megs of cache with
a 160G 7200 RPM w/8 megs of cache.

Still nothing has changed. The system stills runs like it
has no place to go and all day to get there.

I thought I could just drag and drop everything into place
and fix everything that way, but the OEM gent says no! He
says to contact MS via email and they'll help me.

When I used my friends W2KPRO disk to get my system back
up, I erased the OEM ID that use to show when going to
control panel, system to get the ID and MS won't help me
becuz it product ID shows the OS didn't come with my
computer.

So there is my entire story, as screwed up as it is. I
need some quality help without suggesting I reformat my
HD, if at all possible, I'd like to avoid that aspect.

To give you an idea of how sluggish my OS is at this
point, it took me over 15 minutes just to get in here to
write. Before, I could have done the entrance, writing and
been gone to wait for the proper response in less than 5
minutes.

Please help me if you can, I await the quality help.

Thanks in advance,

Robb

dl

Your hd manu will likely have a utility on their site to test the hd - this
is usually run from a floppy.
You might be better advised to backup any data on the C, boot drive, then do
a *clean install* of yr o/s using the correct disk. I realise you wish to
avoid this, but I think it might be yr best option.