Multiple audio inputs causing buzzing noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2019
Hello,
I'm no expert in the audio field, so apologies if this isn't the best explanation.

I have two 3.5mm audio cables (PC and Nintendo Switch) plugged into a splitter as input that go into one speaker. When the Switch is powered on and both audio inputs are plugged in, there is a buzzing/humming sound. If I unplug one of the audio cables or power off the Switch, the noise goes away. This only started happening when I plugged the HDMI cables from my PC and Switch into an HDMI switcher that goes into my monitor. Before that, it worked fine (meaning plugging each individual device directly into my monitor when I wanted to use it). Unplugging one of the two HDMI cables from the switcher also stops the noise.

I've been looking around the internet and saw that a ground loop noise isolator may fix the problem. Before I try it, I wanted to see if anyone could give me clearer advice.

If the ground loop isolator is the fix I'm looking for, would I only need one? And where along the line would it need to be plugged in to?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.