multiple barriers?

tjtsj

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
Ok, so I seem to be having some trouble playing games online. I currently have an ADSL connection where the modem has a NAT firewall built in. It’s a sprint model; however the internal menu structure/look is remarkably like a Netgear setup. That is connected to my Belkin 4-port router. The router connects to 2 computers on my house net, however only one is for gaming so there isn’t an issue with multiple users for the same WAN IP. Now I’m looking to play Warcraft3 with/against some friends at school. Unfortunately I can’t control the network there (firewall, packet shaper, etc…) I’m not using battlenet because the connection at school is a pain in the but with it, so we use a program similar to lancraft or battlelan. My router is acting as the DHCP server for the network.
I know I need to open port 6112. I’m confused as to how to direct the traffic from the DSL modem to the router to my computer. The modem’s private IP is 192.168.1.1, the router’s IP is 192.168.2.1, and my computer is 192.168.2.2. I can try and put my computer in the DMZ of my router, but it’s still blocked by the modem’s firewall. Do I need to forward the port from the modem to the router or to the computer attached to it?

Is the fact that my computer cost almost as much as my car a bad thing? You decide.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Make sure your computer and router both have a static IP.
You must open the port on both your modem and your router.

To go through multiple firewalls:
Setup a rule on the first firewall (modem) to forward that specific port to the same port on the second firewall's (router) address.
Setup a rule on the second firewall (router) to forward the port to the same port on the computer you wish to host the service on.

A better alternative is to disable one of the routers/firewalls.

Netgear routers have always been a pain for me to setup port forwarding on.
You may have a hard time with your modem.
I'd disable the routing/firewall functions on the modem and enable them on your Belkin router.
You can make it work the other way around as well, though.
In either case, you only need to make one set of forwarding rules.

The only reason to use two router/firewalls is when you need to host web services and you have a large network behind it.
The web servers would go between the two firewalls.
The first firewall would open the neccessary ports for the servers.
The second (behind the servers) would block them.
The private network exists behind second firewall.
Not neccessary for small networks (>25).

Oh, and make certain that you only need one port.
Most game services will make an initial connection with one port and switch to another shortly after.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.